When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jewel tank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

oldmtrcyc

I live for the CABE
I have seen some conflicting dates when the jeweled tanks were offered for the straight-bar frames. Also were the tanks the same, except for paint/decals?

35/36 tanks had the smooth noses with no internal horns. I think the gills come out in 37ish. 39 the front strap was pushed back a few inches. I’m no expert but I’m sure someone else will be more helpful.

The blue lasalle has the 38 forward strap. Notice the front gills for the inner horn. Then the 39 tank was just showing the tank strap pushed back. Last pic is the early smooth jewel tank.
4D3EB2EB-3F86-4D0E-AEB6-587739AE1A18.jpeg

7F1D6FBD-D0D5-4BF3-9600-DA36E061EA51.jpeg

870B74FA-6CFF-4EE4-93A1-31B55A6D3296.jpeg

the jeweled tanks came out in 1936-both smooth and gilled. both offered in 1936 and listed as the 170 model. paint and decal schemes depends if Schwinn-b.f. Goodrich-mead cycle(ranger)-or various Chicago cycle supply variations(most commonly known as the panel or tear drop style with decal-'lasalle' or 'henderson' 'excelsior' as examples). the 1936 Schwinn autocycle(jeweled tank) was the flagship of their line. but the jeweled tank smooth or gilled had appeal also-thus the buyer could order up a jeweled tank to 'kick up' the motorbike's appearance. only available on the 'b' frames. there were no 'c' or 'd' jeweled tanks.
thumbnail_IMG_0708.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0709.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0710.jpg

Last edited:
Back