When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jewelled Coke Bottle Grips Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wbeaton

On Training Wheels
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I’m an antique outboard motor collector. A friend and I recently bought a couple motors with jewelled Coke bottle grips. They are obviously replacement grips. Can anyone tell me what era these grips were used? I’m guessing by the age of the motors the grips were replaced in the 1950’s or 60’s. Any help is appreciated.

E27EF97A-12B4-45CE-A628-D06F798CC20B.jpeg

F597D681-57D4-481C-8EDE-225A47E5939B.jpeg

Welcome to the Cabe.
We have several Outboard enthusiasts here, that I’m sure will enjoy your participation.
Those jeweled Cokebottle type grips were widely available from the 1930’s thru 1950’s and I’m guessing even beyond.
In fact, they are still widely available in reproduction form even as I type this.
The nautical theme of the red and green color glass has always confused us non nautical types.
It makes more sense to me to have the green reflector on the left, since a bicycle rides on the right side of the road.
Green for go around on the left and red for no go on the right.
But, it’s my understanding, that this configuration is just the opposite on a boat?

Thanks for the response. The timeframe makes sense. Now I understand why I’ve only found red and green jewels. I, too, am surprised the jewels are installed like boat navigation lights. In a boat you pass on the right. When you approach a red light you have to keep right or things may go terribly wrong.

Welcome to the Cabe.
We have several Outboard enthusiasts here, that I’m sure will enjoy your participation.
Those jeweled Cokebottle type grips were widely available from the 1930’s thru 1950’s and I’m guessing even beyond.
In fact, they are still widely available in reproduction form even as I type this.
The nautical theme of the red and green color glass has always confused us non nautical types.
It makes more sense to me to have the green reflector on the left, since a bicycle rides on the right side of the road.
Green for go around on the left and red for no go on the right.
But, it’s my understanding, that this configuration is just the opposite on a boat?

Just remember the 3 R's "red right returning".

They feel like normal bicycle grips to me. Not spongey but with a little bit of give to them. I'd tell you to find some on a bike, but your location will probably not allow for that to happen. I have these grips on quite a few bikes and will continue to use them in the future. The seller has been very upfront in the event of any problems, and I did have two sets that were replaced due to splitting. I'm not sure if the grips were the problem or if the bars may have been the issue, all I know is that they were replaced without any delay on the sellers' part.
REC

PS: I noticed that Joe Rapoza has added his grips to the posting here.... another reputable seller...
I have not bought any of his grips as of yet.

older Foxgrips were on the money as far as materials go the new ones are plastic and look like plastic not a problem with bicycles but with antique motorcycle the look is totally wrong

Back