When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Johnny Cash Bike

-

Stanley

Wore out three sets of tires already!
So being kid number 4 of 5, and the first boy following 3 girls (1975ish). Mom being raised on a farm, she could fix everything. Bondo, zip ties, duct tape, rattle cans, soldering gun, wood filler, garage sales and more. She did plumbing, autobody, bailed hay, built our first house with Dad.
If you know the song, "One piece at a time", by Johnny Cash...then you can envision my childhood BMX. So she took a girls bike...which I was unaware of for some time.. into a boys bike. I remember her calling the Schwinn store and asking for Schwinn badges and decals. There was some back and forth...but Mom always won the argument. The bike was probably a Montgomery Wards or Sears. When it finally surfaced from several days in her basement laboratory....it was a miracle. Yellow paint and black pinstripes. It even had a sissy bar, black square BMX seat, new grips (probably shop lifting)...like I said...she could do everything. New tires...probably used ones. But she used gallons of Armor All...on everything. Everything we owned looked new. So everytime I hear that song, I think of my bike, first car, my white ice skates...painted black and my shirts that buttoned the opposite way then my friend John's.

No pictures of it? Oh well. Sure won't find a pic on Google ;). I remember getting a "transitioned" bike as a kid because a roommate of ours was a welder. I probably found a better replacement on my own soon after.

No pictures of it? Oh well. Sure won't find a pic on Google ;). I remember getting a "transitioned" bike as a kid because a roommate of ours was a welder. I probably found a better replacement on my own soon after.
I was kid number 4....I've only found 1 image of myself from ages 0-9 years old. Thank God for school pictures and year books...I'm might think I didn't exsist. :)

Back