When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 12th 1817 -2017 200 years of mankind rolling

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wasp3245

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello Cycling World ....

Monday June 12th you can get on your bike and ride ..in celebration of Karl Drais first ride 200 years ago . Don't blow it or you''ll have to wait another 100 years .

Thursday June 12th 1817 Karl Drais jumped on his Laufs machine / swift walker / draisienne, hobby horse ( bike with no pedals) and rode out of Mannheim ( Germany) and back again about 9 km roughly a mere hour of one mans life ..but the beginning of a lifetime of fun and recreation for the rest of the world ... ok so may be not on a hobby horse ...but once they added pedals ( Pierre Lallement 1863) things got really rolling .

The IVCA (International Veteran Cycle Association) just completed it's rally in Karlsruhe ...home of Drais ..in life and death .. about 450 old bike folks gathered with a record number of hobby horses..some 28 all running in a herd, complete with racing !

The real fun was the ride to the meet .... about 14 folks from around the planet gathered in Nancy ,France with there draisienne / hobby horse ..and headed east to Karlsruhe , Germany ...about 240 Km ..covering about 55 km per day ...( which just about killed us off) . With 7 .3 billion folks on this planet and only 14 showed up to ride ... there are a lot of smart folks out there .

All was fun as we gathered in Nancy in anticipation of the big ride . Draisiennes and hobby horses..have two wheels ( wooden wagon type ..which all but one had rubber bands super glued on to the steel tires ..to reduce the vibrations ... reduce ,,,yes ,, in no way eliminate . Now you walk , run, with your feet ..yes touching the ground ...long strides ... your body has never done this before ... and after riding one ..your body will go into to shakes at the mere sight of a hobby horse. It was a learning curve for all of us ..... I rode a Johnson hobby horse copy from 1818 ...very fortunate that Johnson added coasting pegs on the front wheel ...yes to coast with ...anytime the earth slopped down you coast for all it that gravity can pull you . I found it much more effective and less painful to the body to use the hobby as a scooter pushing off with one foot ..and alternating feet .... one level ground I could keep up with my two legged comrades .

We had a great time riding on various bike paths paralleling several water canals ... going from little town to little town...serenaded by the Cuckoo bird who was all you happy to give audio commentary to the sight he saw..day after day after day with every bend of the trail he was there .

On the 5th day of riding we crossed the Rhine on a ferry and raced ..(we averaged 10.5km per hour ..so 6 mph ..that's top speed ..faster than walking....but not by much ) to our destination Karlsruhe and paid homage to Drais' monument ..he seemed quite surprised upon out arrival .

One of the group IVCA rides took us to Drais final resting place .... races in the afternoon !

So below a few photos celebrating the ride and the IVCA rally ....so in short get on you bike and ride Monday June 12th ..and be dare happy about those pedals ..... as you'll never know just how much you'll miss them when you don't have them .

Oh yes Drais machines have brakes ...push the steering tiller away and brake ..but you loose control of steering whilst doing it ..no worries ..Johnson machines ..no brakes ..( none) ..but toy have two feet to drag along the pavement .... do you know how hot your shoes can get dragging them down a hill and 20 mph ?

Life is for the living !!!!
Cheers Carey

IMG_3144.JPG
IMG_3201.JPG
IMG_3173.JPG
IMG_3235.JPG
IMG_3296.JPG
IMG_3321.JPG
IMG_3433.JPG
IMG_3486.JPG
IMG_3507.JPG
press photo.jpg
IMG_3169.JPG
KarlDrais.jpg
Draisine1817.jpg

Beautiful pictures Carey and thanks so much for sharing those. I have been a member of the Dandy Chargers for several yrs now but have never had the chance to get over to the U.K. to participate in any of the events. I'm hoping for next yr though.

Are the Mennonites still building the Johnson horse replicas by any chance?

Bill

Beautiful pictures Carey and thanks so much for sharing those. I have been a member of the Dandy Chargers for several yrs now but have never had the chance to get over to the U.K. to participate in any of the events. I'm hoping for next yr though.

Are the Mennonites still building the Johnson horse replicas by any chance?

Bill
It'll be great to welcome you if you make it over here. So many events you could attend, and I'm pretty sure there'll be offers of bicycles for you to ride. The first Sunday of every July is the Benson Veteran Cycle Rally in Oxfordshire; probably the premier event of its kind in the UK. All machines are pre 1928 (when chromium playing came in), period costume and free beer along the way too. I'll be attending it in a fortnights time and will be posting plenty of pictures.

Great photos, fantastic period apparel, wonderful bikes, and a fabulous event......what more can I say!

Back