When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jupiter 3-speed mixte, made in Belgium

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sbrooksco

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am seeking information about this Jupiter bicycle: steel frame, integrated fenders and rack, generator lamp mount, bell, chain guard. Stylish ride and workhorse commuter. Sturmey Archer hub bears 1963 stamp.

D98CAA70-2256-4BC6-B4A2-18AA27ADFDD4.jpeg

36DDB4D2-9928-4DB7-955B-8BB29137896D.jpeg

331524E3-8829-44EA-BDE7-7C1B4A2038BE.jpeg

514AD263-E658-4243-AFE2-369E06357F3B.jpeg

DCA5B851-EFA5-4E1C-8E95-56BED5416B97.jpeg

7020DA01-7890-4268-9ABF-19F0ABEB3D0F.jpeg

3E6F57B3-6E37-4AE1-A941-6D6C7082667E.jpeg

A48BE942-6B2B-41FB-92AF-68AD11C75B2E.jpeg

Hi,

I know nothing more than 5 minutes research, but it appears that Jupiter was a retailer (not a maker) of bikes, based ay 37 Quellin Straat, Antwerp in at least the 1950's

1606740384028.png

No date on the advert, but judging by the television, mid to late 1950's, so a 61 dated hub would seem about right.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi,

I know nothing more than 5 minutes research, but it appears that Jupiter was a retailer (not a maker) of bikes, based ay 37 Quellin Straat, Antwerp in at least the 1950's

View attachment 1309431
No date on the advert, but judging by the television, mid to late 1950's, so a 61 dated hub would seem about right.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Adrian

The rear lights , chain guard and bell are first rate.
I agree, it was a nicely specified bike, not cheap, when it was made. I've just been trying to find the bike maker through the 'Ardex Solid' written on the guard, but it appears to be propriatory item, so no help, other than it was made in Belgium, and the small picture on it is a St Christopher.

I'll have a think about this, but there's lots of small time bike makers in europe during this period, so it'll be difficult to come up with an answer.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Thank you for your interest and comments. The front and rear lights were powered by the rear facing mount on the fork. The wire runs nicely through the fender stay to the rear light.

The chain guard has been admired greatly. Interesting are the three speed cable running through the chain guard and the clamp on roller-wheel guide on seat tube near the bottom bracket as if it was not intended to be a three speed. There is a braze-on on the stay as if ready for a derailleur. Wish we knew. Thanks again.

That is a very nice bike. Obviously well cared for. And also very Belgian. The Ardex chain guard is one giveaway, but the way the rear rack is brazed on makes it a dead ringer for Belgian manufacture.

BITD, Belgium had many bicycle brands, maybe more than any other country in the world. It seems that every shop had its own house brand, for which the frame production was outsourced.

The manufacturers were also Belgian, and supported this business model by staying in the background and supplying painted frames without any identification marks, ready to be built up and dressed with decals of choice. A cadre brut, or "blank frame". The serial number on the dropout could be a manufacturer's or a shop's.

Some of those manufacturers (like Vaneenooghe) are still virtually unknown, some have surfaced over time (such as Martens), and others also produced bikes under their own name, such as Royal Nord and Flandria. Interesting - and confusing - fact is that some high-end Flandria-branded bikes were in turn made by others again ...

Long story short, it is more often than not quite challenging to identify the actual maker of a Belgian bike.

There is still a bike shop in Antwerp by the name of Jupiter. It may or may not be related. Your best bet may be to just send an e-mail to info @ jupiternv.be with a couple of pictures of the bike and the decals. Chances are they might actually be able to tell you more.

-----

thanks very much @non-fixie ! ;)

the cycle's original chainset would have certainly been a cottered steel one

Hermesse Freres ("HF") was one indigenous Belgian chainset manufacturer active at this epoch

-----

This has been fascinating! Many thanks to you each for your interest and contribution to the Jupiter’s story. We will investigate your leads and report back.

Back