When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jupiter 3-speed mixte, made in Belgium

-
-----

hello sbrooksco,

regarding the frame's features making provision for a derailleur cable:

it is fairly common for bicycle manufactuers to employ the same frame to offer differing models

quite possible that this frame was used by the manufacturer to offer a bicycle with a derailleur gearing drive train as well as one such as yours with planetary gearing

my guess is that the bicycle was manufactured with planetary gearing rather than having been changed from derailleur to planetary

the handsome ARDEX chainguard is one availble to all and is not proprietary to the bicycle maker

appears to my eye that only the chainset, pedals and wheel rims have been changed from the original

thanks very much for sharing this fascinating find! ;)

-----

-----

hello sbrooksco,

regarding the frame's features making provision for a derailleur cable:

it is fairly common for bicycle manufactuers to employ the same frame to offer differing models

quite possible that this frame was used by the manufacturer to offer a bicycle with a derailleur gearing drive train as well as one such as yours with planetary gearing

my guess is that the bicycle was manufactured with planetary gearing rather than having been changed from derailleur to planetary

the handsome ARDEX chainguard is one availble to all and is not proprietary to the bicycle maker

appears to my eye that only the chainset, pedals and wheel rims have been changed from the original

thanks very much for sharing this fascinating find! ;)

-----
Thank you for adding to the story. I had the wheels rebuilt as the original rear rim had of a flat spot. The pedals and saddle are not original. Some things just wear out.

I believe @juvela is correct wrt the gearing setup. Check out this frame, with a lot of similarities, including the IGH and the chainstay stop. It has been repainted, so no ID, alas.

MP 20201201.JPG

You all are so amazing! Thank you so much. This is so much fun. Here’s something to chew on, the Batavus Pro. A fine handling workhorse. Posting a new thread shortly.

A9C4D1AE-68DF-4A16-9645-62F5FC027E1C.jpeg

A812F684-C1B3-4795-86B3-F3B251D43F54.jpeg

30D09E91-041E-40DD-9CC4-AFD3EF3EAB32.jpeg

Yes, and those grips! Wow. Do you ride it?
This bike doesn't get riden often. One of the downsides of a large collection is that some bikes will be hard to get to if they are packed into a small space, such as my basement. The chrome grips are cool looking but I haven't figured a good way to adjust them. On the right hand grip there is an open seam on the top where the palm rests that I would like to spin to the bottom. Nice riding bike never the less.

Those pictures of the Batavus' (Batavuses?) bring back memories of one of the shops I worked for in Erie, PA during the Bike Boom. A hobby shop (trains, model kits, RC airplanes) that the owner decided to start selling bicycles and picked up the Flandria and Batavus lines. Very nice bikes back in the day, although they must have started distribution in the States late, as they were down to picking up a hobby shop as a retail outlet.

Back