When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Bought a 1964 Le Tour on Craigslist...how'd I do?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sentinelace

On Training Wheels
I just got this bike today. Everything seems stock except maybe the wheels and seat. The seat says made in japan but the bike is a Chicago build. Did they maybe import this seat? or did someone pull it from another bike? According to the Schwinn database it was built 5/7/1964

Anyone know what this might be worth? I'm just using it to ride. Rides nice.

Attachments

• IMG_1446.jpg
    IMG_1446.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think the bike may be from about '79 or '80. The Le Tour wasn't a model until the early 70s and the Le Tour IV was from around that time. The whole bike may very well be MIJ and their serial system may have just coincided with earlier Schwinn serials. Is there a 4 digit number stamped into the headbadge?

Otherwise, it looks like an exceptionally clean bike with quality parts. The white really pops too; not many white Schwinns.

Unfortunately, I think the bike may be from about '79 or '80. The Le Tour wasn't a model until the early 70s and the Le Tour IV was from around that time. The whole bike may very well be MIJ and their serial system may have just coincided with earlier Schwinn serials. Is there a 4 digit number stamped into the headbadge?

According to this site it's a 1964:http://schwinncruisers.com/schwinn.php?serial=e424635
serial number: e424635

It is a Chicago bike.

The Le Tour did not exist in '64. The site you used doesn't take into account the Japanese serial numbers of 1979 which used a nearly identical serial system. Here's a website which explains lightweight Schwinns; both Chicago and Japan.
http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB/serial.htm

And I'll highlight this particular section:
"The 1979 Chicago built Le Tour and Super Le Tour models had their Serial Numbers on the left rear axle hanger and began with an 'S', followed by the standard letter/number scheme. Bicycles from Japan will have Serial Numbers located on the left, rear axle hanger, on the bottom bracket shell or on the lower section of the headlug. The number will have a production month letter in either the first or second position and a production year number in the other (first or second) position. Examples: J677123 = September, 1976. For some Japanese built Schwinns the headbadge will have a 4-digit stamping that represents the assembly date and consists of the ordinal day and the last digit of the year (2456 decodes to the 245th day of 1976 or 1986 -- use decals and components to determine the decade)."

I agree probably early 80s. I gave $25 for one at the flea market and rode it til I broke it! V/r Shawn

Back