When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Bought A Black Beauty...I Think...

-
Looks to be the predecessor to my Hawthorne Dolly Varden, which is a '35 or 6. Originally a dark blue.View attachment 1195261

Yes, the frame looks identical from what I can see. And besides missing the chain guard and drop stand, it's also missing a rear rack. Rear hub dates mine between 1927-1933, so yes, a predecessor to yours.

Aha! Then maybe the previous owner did repaint it in sections the original color. Nice to know that yours was a dark blue, and that back then they did make colors for a girls bike. :grinning:

Rubbing Compound is beginning to work on the paint and should make it look fairly decent when I'm finished. The frame appears to be original paint so far...but like I mentioned earlier, I see brush strokes on the head tube. Weird. :tonguewink:

Here's a Rollfast I forgot I used to own. Check out the frame and crank...same one? Fork is different though. Also, the Rollfast has 26'' wheels.

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 7.20.01 AM.png

Last edited:
Still working on the bike, a little each day. Here's the hub roughly cleaned so I could see the stamping on it.

But I do have a question about the rims. What metal did they use? It doesn't appear to be chrome...or stainless steel...but does appear to have a copper coloring to it. Anyone know??? I'm new kid with a bike this old. :tonguewink:

Time to go back on work on THIS bike. Saddle is coming along nicely...a bit better than I had originally hoped for.

Back