When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Bought A Black Beauty...I Think...

-
Hi, All,

no, not a Westfield serial. Wrong font, and they didn't use U.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Apparently when the bike was spray painted, they decided to match the grips that someone had put on.

Oh, and I did notice a drilled hole on the seat tube near the crank, so this bike originally came with a chain guard. One of those large, circular designed pieces of art.

Snyder bottom bracket joints and fork crown.

“U” serial may be a 1933-U; don’t think that the HP Snyder Little Falls NY plant skipped 1934-V,
(working backwards from 35-W, 36-X, 37-Y, etc.).

Thanks for the update! So thanks to @Freqman1 's site, this would be a 1933, and the last year for that hub to be used. Cool!

Last edited:
@sm2501 Scott, the Black Beauty you just sold has the same head badge as mine. What years was this badge used?

I pumped up the tires and they held air. Took it for a quick down the block ride and all was good. And looking at the tires, they could be original, but then why would you paint the bike if that indicated not a lot of use?
I might try and see if I can remove some paint to see what lays beneath...:confused:

Last edited:
After examining the bottom bracket serial numbers, they're not covered in blue paint. Any chance that the bike was originally blue, and someone matched it closely only to cover scrapes, scratches and rust? The head tube looks like they used a brush if you look closely, but I need to clean more of the bike to see if this appears elsewhere. Did they make a blue back then???

Back