When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Bought Chicago Flyer - Any Info Appreciated !!

-

Kato

I live for the CABE
Recently bought this Chicago Flyer - it sat in a barn for 50+ years. It looks to be original except for tires and 1 of the rims. The front is wood and the rear is metal clad. I'm not sure which is correct - guessing the rear?
Still has the leather mudflap attached to the front fender. I spent 10 mins with my WD40 / Naval Jelly concoction on a couple spots and it looks to be the Olive Drab green color I've seen on other bikes.
Rear tire spins straight and true and brakes stop instantly which amazed me !!

Cant't find anything on this bike other than a couple posting for the head badge.
Guessing it's from the 20's or 30's maybe ?? Any help / info much appreciated !!!

IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2101.JPG

Bump again.......going to start cleaning soon
I can't find any info on another Chicago Flyer anywhere

Congrats on the nice find. I noticed those crusty pedals and wanted to tell you how I accidentally renewed the rubber pads on one of the pedals on my teens Pierce. I soaked the pedal in Simple Green for a couple hours to get really caked on grease off. When I checked it I noticed the surface of the rubber was slimy and seemed to be dissolving in the soap. I pulled it out and let it dry in the sun a couple days. After drying the rubber was shiny and hard to the touch, no longer flaky and crusty. You might want to try a spare bit of waste crusty pedal and see if it can revive those. I have not tried the method again but that's only because the left pedal was only a spindle. ;)

Good luck, looks like it will clean up with a nice patina finish.

Gary

Been almost 2 years.......time to get on this one.
I have never seen this head badge in all of the searching I've done since I got it.
Anyone with new info on it...........????

Back