When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Bought This 1902 Rambler, Looking For Info, Please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

andybee75

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi guys, bought this bike the other day. The ugly front wheel is of course not original, but what other parts do you know to be wrong? Comparing with other Ramblers on internet says that the pedals are correct. Also probably the handle bar, since the handles seems original. Is the saddle and post original? Did it have fenders when new? I suspect that it had wooden G&J clinchers, painted brown and black when new? Is it possible that the ND-hub is original, but been salvaged into a new rim? I found out from the excellent ND-thread here that the markings on the hub only where used in 1902, fits very well with the bike, in other words. Is the ND bell also original? How was the ornated lugs striped, all of them or some? Since it's probably sold new here in Sweden, you would expect clinchers, not single tubes. Anyone with a similar 1902 bike, would be great with pictures. Many questions i know, but this is so exciting, always wanted a TOC Rambler!:) Thanks for your input!
20160514_125754-1[1].jpg
20160514_130024[1].jpg
20160514_130313[1].jpg
20160514_130013[1].jpg
20160514_125921[1].jpg
20160514_125827[1].jpg
20160514_125819[1].jpg
20160514_130139[1].jpg

Last edited:
The ones sold in the US would have had wood rims, probably G&J clinchers but that might have been optional. The catalog would tell us that, and The Wheelmen have a 1902 catalog in their library, but you have to be a member and pay $5 for a pdf of it. But that would be the US catalog, and wood rims were pretty much a US thing. Steel was more common in Europe, so your rear one could possibly be original.

I ordered the 1902 catalogue earlier today, hopefully i will get some more answers. However, when it comes to G&J clincher system, i looked in the swedish 1908 Rambler catalogue and found that the importer, Albert Öhman in Stockholm, still used the system and with wooden rims, painted brown and black. They started making their own swedish made Ramblers ca 1908. Since the brand was well regarded, they kept the name and the features like the lugs and crank on the bikes for a very long time. So, it wouldn't be unusual to import the US rambler equipped with G&J clinchers. Many others bikes used wood rim Dunlop clinchers well around to ca 1915.

Anyway, it would be nice to get a copy of the 1902 catalogue to see if the New Departure coaster hub was optional, i think that this is very likely.

The ones sold in the US would have had wood rims, probably G&J clinchers but that might have been optional. The catalog would tell us that, and The Wheelmen have a 1902 catalog in their library, but you have to be a member and pay $5 for a pdf of it. But that would be the US catalog, and wood rims were pretty much a US thing. Steel was more common in Europe, so your rear one could possibly be original.

Do the foreign Ramblers not have frame lugging?

G&J Tires PRINT.JPG
I only see the front wheel and I'm not sure on the rear. I think G & J had metal clinchers too, but I could be wrong.

Got the 1902 catalogue from the Wheelmen library. They only offered the ABC Coaster hub as a option. So the ND- hub isn't correct, sadly. But since it's quite similar with the ABC-hub and its made in 1902, i will use it, nevertheless. Will probably never find a correct one anyway!. The catalogues are very general it it's description and doesn't say what striping or colours that were used on the rims. My research on the net and surving Ramblers imported to Sweden (very few...) suggest wooden G&J clinchers painted brown and black as i thought, but also matching fenders. Seen a lot of US bikes that have fenders although the often don't have it in US catalogues. For the time being, i will try to clean of the overpainted parts and make it rideable with steel clinchers.

Back