When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just finished Trek 720 EL Mustacho

-

Mr.RED

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just finished bastardizing a beautiful 1984 Trek 720 touring bike into my own twisted idea of a dirt touring bike and I am totally in love with it. Inspired by Crust and Rivendell bikes but at a fraction of the cost well just ignore the fact of potential value of a complete original 1984 Trek 720 aside from that this bike rocks. I got rid of the 27"s for 700c 9 speed wheels off a semi modern touring bike, replaced the goofy titanium Huret derailleurs with NOS Shimano Deore XT , swapped out the Avocet crankset for a Deore XT biopace, Nitto riser stem, Nitto mustache handlebars, 9 speed Shimano bar end shifters, Brooks Pro saddle, a bell to match the saddle, powdercoated the original rear Jim Blackburn rack and bottle cages to closer match the Trek logo color. I might ditch the rear rack for a front Nitto but thats later down the road. I also wanna see your Mustache converted rides so please share them if you got them.

-----

LUV the colours.

bottle cages and rack appear to be anodised in brunito.

did wheel change alter shell height? would think that for gravel grinding you would value a highish shell.

what Sachs-Huret mechs were OEM?

dost thee plan to vend or to retain them?

-----

-----

LUV the colours.

bottle cages and rack appear to be anodised in brunito.

did wheel change alter shell height? would think that for gravel grinding you would value a highish shell.

what Sachs-Huret mechs were OEM?

dost thee plan to vend or to retain them?

-----
The rear rack and bottle cages are not anodized but powder coated Bronze chrome to replicate an anodized finish. As for BB height after the wheel swap lets a technical question I don't have an answer for. The original Huret derailleurs on this I believe were the titanium Duopar long cage rear derailleur and a Duopar front derailleur. I never really used Huret stuff before but as a collector I know the resale value of old Huret Duopar and Jubilee derailleurs are much more valuable then NOS Shimano Deore stuff plus they just look cool. I wanted a bike I could ride road and dirt roads on I don't think I will ever do any real gravel grinding but who knows , the roads are so crappy in Massachusetts the bigger the tire the better.

-----

Thank you!

Looks like a rather steep stair down to the basement door. Reckon those hatch covers be thar for good reason...

As an aged person I notice such things... :wink:

-----

Well, here I am later in 2020 happy to report that I found my Trek 720. It was local and just my ideal size, color and spec. Also, an ‘85 like me!

The delimna now is which direction to take it. Although rideable as-is (his wife wanted to keep the seat), it’s a mash up of kinda crummy parts. Not sure I want to go 100% stock but at least period correct high end stuff would be befitting. It’s my Bridgestone XO-1 (pictured above) all over again! As found:

F7FAD194-C080-434B-AC49-5584573D3B5E.jpeg

9ACD052F-0947-4694-82BB-532EAED14866.jpeg

4D1383A6-9B8C-4C74-AC96-3EBFE383DC8C.jpeg

44142C60-ACEB-46F3-8472-ED6276AC7144.jpeg

5D0B5593-C766-444A-839F-69BC181559F5.jpeg

Back