When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got are first DL1

-

jungleterry

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
We finally have a Raleigh with rod brakes . Pretty cool for sure . Didn’t realize that the DL1 where a bit larger over all then are other Raleigh bikes in 21 and 23 styles . Cool bike for

sure . Thanks for looking Terry and Tammy

That bike is pretty easy to date to mid 1960s because it has the 8” crank arms, the flatter mud guards, and the older style Raleigh font decals. Do no damage to those crank arms, they only used the 8” version on that bike for 4-5 years, typically with a 46 tooth front sprocket. Very tough to find, today. The more common crank arm is 7 1/2”, typically used with a 44 tooth front sprocket. Customers could choose from a few different back sprockets, if they asked.
The mud guards were changed to a more rounded design around 1970, that was used until the end of production. I have a bike dated December, of 1981, a 24” with the hockey stick chain guard. The very rare 22” men’s bikes usually have a full chain case. I have 4 Roadsters, 3 24” men’s, and a 22” woman’s.
My son rides the identical bike, and used it successfully for this years Lake Pepin 3 speed tour, with a 20 tooth rear sprocket I put there, in difference to the hill at Bay City. I also used a 24” Roadster, but, I converted the AW hub to S5 configuration, in difference to my age, the hills, and the fact I cheat my ass off whenever possible. Mine has a 22 tooth rear sprocket. I might go back to my Sprite 5 for the Tour, next year.

Ted

E3A04D7D-2080-47C7-9DF8-9D18A38181FD.jpeg

Pretty much. Paul worked at a Minneapolis bike shop, that sold more Raleigh’s than any three cities back in the day. A guy who worked at a shop that only sold a few Roadsters in a year might not have much experience setting them up. Every, single, Roadster I own had the brake pads on backwards on the front. 4 for 4.
My Sons bike has the Salmon Kool Stops installed. I have NOS Fibrax, and the Kool Stops are the way to go. If you are riding them.

We do.

Ted

5473DF48-F519-4E7A-8335-FB50579E863D.jpeg

Back