When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got back from a 5-hour cruise on a 67 Speedster

-

TimothyNelson

Finally riding a big boys bike
So, I just got back from cruising for the last 4 or 5 hours on a 67 speedster. On the way home started to sound like there was a rock in between the fender and tire but when I stopped and spin the tire nothing and it came and went for a while but on the way home it was pretty adamant, has anyone experienced anything like that and what do you think it may be, that I could check?

Thanks!

3 speed? coaster brake? front or rear wheel? enough air in the tires?
3-speed, yes I assume enough air actually thought there might be too much in the front tire causing a rub so I let a little bit out, once I got home I did loosen up the metal piece that goes from the Chrome fender to the nut and kind of adjusted the Chrome fender at the bottom and then tighten it back up.

It seems to have resolved, at least I can hope but I did take it around the block and didn't hear it anymore so what I'm thinking is during the prolonged ride something got loose or shifted over a bump, etc... as you can tell I am learning!

Fender noise can be common on these old bikes. Sometimes it's the bracket tab rattling around. I've seen where the tab goes through the fender and is attached to the underside and that connection gets loose. On the Raleighs, sometimes the bullet nose rattles around. You can try to shim it with something if it comes back. That noise bugs me when it's an otherwise quiet bike.

Back