When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got this Elgin...need some help

-

ratina

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Just picked up this Elgin. Trying to find out the year/model of it. Looks all original to me except for the aftermarket guard. Missing dropstand and clip. Stainless fenders, rims were chrome, paint looks like it might have been dark green, blue, or maybe black. The light on the rear rack looks added. Glass lens, says "Doray" on it. any info on it?

Thanks!

DSC03253-1.jpg

DSC03254-1.jpg

DSC03255-1.jpg

DSC03256-1.jpg

DSC03257-1.jpg

DSC03258-1.jpg

DSC03259-1.jpg

DSC03260-1.jpg

DSC03261-1.jpg

DSC03262-1.jpg

I think you scored on that one.....wasn't it on eBay local pickup only? I remember the very low selling price..... :cool:

So you are the 1 who scored!!!! I saw that 1 too. Very good buy! Looks like the front tube cover of the battery tube is still attached to the frame bar. Great bike. Just regrease everything and ride it! Watch the heads turn as you cruise past.

So you are the 1 who scored!!!! I saw that 1 too. Very good buy! Looks like the front tube cover of the battery tube is still attached to the frame bar. Great bike. Just regrease everything and ride it! Watch the heads turn as you cruise past.

Yes still can't believe it. Yeah the guy said once he found out how much the lights were worth he sold them separately a while back. He left the one piece on. My plan is to tear it down, clean and re grease, and some new tires and ride!

Hello,
I have this Elgin (never had a model name, I believe) and it's a 37, probably was originally burgundy red and the light on the rack was original, yet transplanted from the original rear fender...which the stainless ones are not, to the best of my knowledge.
Westfield made so you can go to Mr. Columbia's website and reference SN under crank hanger.
The initial temptation is to extract the tires, but I would not if they are Allstate WW... just substitute the wheels as these tires are impossible to find and have value even in unrideable condition.
Chris

Hello,
I have this Elgin (never had a model name, I believe) and it's a 37, probably was originally burgundy red and the light on the rack was original, yet transplanted from the original rear fender...which the stainless ones are not, to the best of my knowledge.
Westfield made so you can go to Mr. Columbia's website and reference SN under crank hanger.
The initial temptation is to extract the tires, but I would not if they are Allstate WW... just substitute the wheels as these tires are impossible to find and have value even in unrideable condition.
Chris

So the fenders arent original? Didn't know it was Westfield built, going to check the serial number now. 1 tire is an Allstate but its blown through I believe. Someone would want a tire in that bad of shape?

Re: fenders...from my research invested on this bike, I have never seen stainless fenders on it, also never seen it outside of burgundy red.
Besides, it just doesn't look right or consistent with the aging of the rest of the bike.
Maybe I'm wrong and these fenders are correct for, let's say a 36, but I would bet against it.

Yes, some would want that original tire for the historical value and being correct on high dollar Elgins like the Blackhawk.
I mention this as I made the mistake myself in writings with RMS37 about how qucikly I slapped on 60's blackwall replacements.
Chris

I agree with Chris, it's a 1937 according to "Da book". First model year for the new badge, and fenders with the "old moto" frame were painted fenders. Possibly added guard too. bri.
ps; '36's had old badge, raingutter fenders, and egg-carton racks. Fall/Winter '37-38 was last model year for old "moto" frames.

Last edited:
Back