When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just picked up mens Elgin Twin bar! Need help with info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am very new to the twin bars so just trying to find out any info I can. What year, model, what’s original, what’s not original and what’s missing and any idea production numbers? Also what would be too much to pay in this condition? Thanks in advanced for any info!

IMG_0504.jpeg

IMG_0505.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

IMG_0507.jpeg

Here is at least a start on your way to knowing what you have.

There were many models of Elgin Twin-Bar and each model had variations. Keep this fact in mind.

Also VERY important... ALL Elgin Twin-Bar models are NOT listed or shown in hobby publications, online "threads" or even Sears catalogues that most people have in hand. People have fallen into the trap of presuming the models in hobby pubs are the only Twin-Bars ever made and sold. Absolutely, positively not true!

There were at least 3 factory-installed saddles for the exact model you have (depending on) :
• when sold
• when made
• which supplier made it.

There were at least 3 chainguards for the exact model you have (no matter what people online will tell you or what you see in literature).

Of course, there were still other saddles and other chainguards too.

There were battery case carriers that had electric switches mounted... and others that LOOKED identical in images and catalogues that had no switch at all. The Twin-Bar rear carriers with the electric switch normally had the special Elgin "Flash-O-Matic" electric brake light/tail light (we have these NOS but degraded from age). These carriers and obviously tail lights themselves were all different from what most people today seem to think.

The Elgin Twin-Bar series was definitely never a one-size-fits-ALL model series or design.

I have owned many, many Elgin Twin-Bars, including SPECIAL models that today's hobby never heard of. Three of my Twin-Bars came from the original owners who had them from NEW. I've been collecting Elgin Twin-Bar bicycles for over 50 years.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
(NBHAA.com)

ElginTwin-BarItemsLeonDixonWM.jpeg

ElginTRwin-BarRHqrtr2LeonDixon2WM.jpeg

ElginsTwin60&1942WW2WM.JPG

Last edited:
Back