When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just picked up today 1957 Schwinn hornet

-

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
Looks to be all original to me, can any of the pros here tell me if anything stands out as not being original? FYI I flipped the bars just because I prefer the look. I know it’s not everyone’s taste haha but I dig it

B37010D1-85BE-4C71-9D86-F039697AEBC2.jpeg

BBE4A42A-E6F5-4B42-B773-29B9B12AFB9D.jpeg

C8756F0C-33CC-4E00-BE59-6C5958292EBB.jpeg

4B25A4C5-EE62-4858-93D7-7412764A27EB.jpeg

4B880A89-C37D-4ECE-9DCD-2991B5908BFF.jpeg

The red band kickback 2 speed didn't exist in 57. A Bendix 2-speed would have been manually shifted at that time. I'd keep the kickback. It is a nice upgrade over a plain coaster.

Beautiful bike, what a score!
Thanks good to know!

Looks pretty legit for the most part. That Florida Green sure is a nice change from the old Coach Green.
Those 70's wheel reflectors sure don't help any though. As already said, the rear hub was added but it's a nice addition for cruising the hill sides. Here's what I see and not that big of a deal. The grips are 60's+ and the seat post clamp is a later piece that came out in 1959 I believe. Great looking piece and it should clean up pretty easy and look like a million. 👍

Last edited:
Looks pretty legit for the most part. That Florida Green sure is a nice change from the old Coach Green.
Those 70's wheel reflectors sure don't help any though. As already said, the rear hub was added but it's a nice addition for cruising the hill sides. Here's what I see and not that big of a deal. The grips are 60's+ and the seat post clamp is a later piece that came out in 1959 I believe. Great looking piece and and it should clean up pretty easy and look like a million. 👍
Thank you for the insight! Gonna find the right grips and seat post clamp and drop the reflectors. Just wasn’t sure if they were supposed to be there or not

Back