When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just picked up today 1957 Schwinn hornet

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Appreciate the info, someone earlier had mentioned that my wheels are not original anyways. Likely they were taken from a 60s model bike and put on this one as an upgrade. It has a 2 speed kick back red band hub. When I typed my serial into the Schwinn serial # lookup tool it came back as a 57 but I’m not sure how accurate that is. My kickstand is not built in to the frame it is a clamp on setup.

View attachment 1595470

That serial look-up is so flawed and if you actually get the correct year it's time to head to Vegas.

I'd double check using the actual list. https://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes3.html

but I’m not sure how accurate that is.

Less than 50%, though to be fair though this bike is from the period it occasionally gets right. Post a pic of the serial number. The charts here on the CABE (stickied in the Schwinn section) are much better than that seriously flawed lookup tool.

... Here's a pic of the '57 Hornet that I bought from the original owner for reference ... The '57 Deluxe models did come with chrome rims ...

Less than 50%, though to be fair though this bike is from the period it occasionally gets right. Post a pic of the serial number. The charts here on the CABE (stickied in the Schwinn section) are much better than that seriously flawed lookup tool.
Just posted a pic. At least in this case looks like it was accurate made early 57

1648337727155.jpeg

This brochure says the rims are enameled. (Have no clue as to why the copy pasted three times.) Did you notice that Schwinn had not yet changed the tire size to 26 x 1-3/4 for the S7 rim?

I noticed yours has a different chain guard decal? Do you know if they had 2 different styles in 57?
Good possibility. Your's is an early 57 and Rollo's is the later style found on the 1958 models. His may be an early 58 model if the serial was stamped in late 1957.

Back