When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw this auction for Orient Bicycle still in original wooden crate

-
Baby Windle for those that are curious-

63f00b07c7ae8021efd78d1779cadbd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if "Baby Windle" wasn't their juvenile line? While I'm no TOC expert by any stretch from what I have seen a lot of the makers juvenile models didn't always have the same characteristics as their adult models. Certainly worthy of further research. If the provenance was known this may answer some questions e.g. found in old hardware store or from old time collector. V/r Shawn

Windle is another mfg from Worcester, MA. ( edit - I knew I spelled that wrong)
Orient bicycles have distinct characterstics that carry over between all of their models in some way shape or form.
I have been wrong many times, but I would wager this is not an Orient bicycle.

Last edited:
Windle is another mfg from Worcester, MA. ( edit - I knew I spelled that wrong)
Orient bicycles have distinct characterstics that carry over between all of their models in some way shape or form.
I have been wrong many times, but I would wager this is not an Orient bicycle.
That being the case it would certainly raise a red flag for me. Will you be able to attend the auction in person? I would bid on this as if I were just bidding on the bike. V/r Shawn

I by no means know anything about TOC bikes, BUT..... My gut always churns when I see such an item still in it's real original crate? Looks right from the picture. Looks like a paper tag on the top board. Curious what it says. My first thought was bogus. ( I hope not ) I saw it said Orient on the crate but was also curious why there was no shot of the badge. Hope someone here gets it and it is legit. Good luck.

Maybe Windle was a Waltham/Orient branch company at some point? Windle was such a famous racer at the time but continued in the family wool mill business and doesn't seem to have produced bicycles. It would seem that someone already in the bicycle business used his name under contract and produced the bicycles. Similar to Trek sales representatives who also were offering Lemond and Armstrong brand bikes to retail outlets. Windle was a rock star at that time!

I once owned a bike in a shipping crate. I was the 3rd owner. The bike was a "Shawmut" distributed by Bigelow and Dowse of Boston. It was in the Pedaling History Museum for awhile then sold at Copake when the museum closed. Many folks thought - Wow ! A bike that was never ridden and still in the crate. Not the case. The original owner was from New Hampshire and would travel to Maine for Summer vacation. He kept the original crate to ship the bike back and forth.

This Baby Windle doesn't have the signature Orient patent fork crown. Perhaps a bike in a period "bike box" for shipping ?

Willie "Wee Willie" Windle was a famous racer of high bicycles in Massachusetts. Has raced at Hampden Park in Springfield Mass. not far from Worcester . Coincidence in name or connection ?

Back