When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw this auction for Orient Bicycle still in original wooden crate

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
baby windle what a cool badge, sounds like a cartoon. love to see this little bike set up as a racer. as for what's in the box...I like a good mystery

Every orient bicycle that I have seen has round holes in the sprocket. You can spot one from 50 feet.

Shipping tag on top of Baby Windle crate. Any ideas of addressee?
windle bicycle 28.jpg

That is the address, and another in the crate. Back in the day, TOC, the post office knew where you lived. Tons of mail was sent just to the name of person and city.

So, you've got two different addressees: C. F. Steim and P. W. Westorkey, or whatever correct spelling is, Bridgeport Conn. However, it is possible, with big search, to find the names in the censes which should have the actual house number and street these people lived on.
Shipping tag on top of Baby Windle crate. Any ideas of addressee?

Last edited:
Hi,

this could be your guy Conrad F. Stein of Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Conn.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/08/b9/a0/b477d42d983bd4/USD29649.pdf

If so, then here he is as a Leading Businessman in Bridgeport

Conrad F. Stein, West End Meat Market, Bassick's Block, State Street. —
Among the many and varied industries pursued in Bridgeport, the establishment prominently known as the West End Market is deserving of particular attention in a work of this kind, which is devoted to the investigation of the various enterprises of the city.

This market was established in 1884, by Conrad F. Stein, who has so successfully managed his business during the three years since that date, that to-day his establishment holds a prominent position in this community. The premises utilized are located in Bassick's block, State street extension, and comprise one tloor, 35x20 feet in dimensions, and is well stocked with a choice assortment of meats, etc., which include prime beef, mutton, lamb, veal, pork, and all kinds of vegetables in their seasons. The extended trade of this market requires the employment of three assistants in addition to the close personal management of the proprietor. This house deals exclusively in first class goods; therefore, customers can depend upon here obtaining goods that will meet with their approval in all respects.

Mr. Stein is a native of New York State, a gentleman familiar in every detail with all that appertains to the business and the wants of the market, carrying a stock made up of the best and most reliable goods known to the trade. It is incumbent on buyers in the advancement of their own interests, that in making purchases they bear in mind the above house, where the variety is complete and the«piices invariably satisfactory.

https://archive.org/stream/leadingbusinessm00beck/leadingbusinessm00beck_djvu.txt

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
I may be getting ahead of myself but I believe C.F. Stein was a inventor. He possibly applied for the patents for the Windle Bicycle. (click on link in post above and it shows one of his patents).The Baby Windle bicycle has all of the features listed in the article (Needs No Oil) on the Windle Special Racer. Its like the Baby Windle was a small size (15" frame) version of the Windle Special. I am hoping to get some photos soon and post them.
windle bicycle 11.jpg

Back