When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Uncovered an Iver Racer With A Schwinn Drumbrake !!

-

Handyman

I live for the CABE
I was recently lucky enough to purchase this Iver Johnson, model 90A, "Special Racer" that had been sitting in a Seekonk, MA cellar for over 50 years. Although a little rough around the edges, I believe the bike is 100% original, right down to the grips, except for the wheelset. On the positive side I have the correct wheelset for this bike in my barn. The only thing I've done to this bike so far is spray it down with degreaser several times as it was barely visable under all the gunk. I have several other Iver Racers, but this is my first 90A ! Pete in Fitchburg

IMG_4087 - Copy.JPG

Bike Has 26" wheels

IMG_4069 - Copy.JPG

Serial #485897 puts the bike about 1928, double gold hairline pinstriping is in decent shape in many areas.

IMG_4070 - Copy.JPG

Special Racer decal on downtube is in fairly good condition

IMG_4073 - Copy.JPG

Chainring is the detachable type, only on the 90A Iver Racers, 24 tooth

IMG_4076 - Copy.JPG

Schwinn drumbrake looks quite odd on an Iver racer

IMG_4077 - Copy.JPG

Looks like the original handbrake
IMG_4078 - Copy.JPG

Seat is the correct and original Brooks B15 Champion Standard

IMG_4081 - Copy.JPG

Rear hub is the correct Iver Johnson "BK" stamped track hub but on the wrong wheel
IMG_4083 - Copy.JPG

Rear of Schwinn drumbrake

IMG_4086 - Copy.JPG

Saved the best for last.....a beautiful gold Iver badge with great patina on a nickel plated headtube. Below the headtube is the correct narrow nickel plated racing fork.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the pedals on this racer. I have seen this exact pedal on several Iver Racers before and believe they were original equipment for some years. In most all the catalogs you see, they say "Star Racing" or "Star Rattrap" pedals. Most all the racers I own have Star Pedals. However, in the 1928 Iver Johnson catalog, when you look under the "Pedals" category, it simply says "Racing". I believe this is the pedal that was used for a few years around 1928. Does anyone recognize this pedal??
Pete in Fitchburg

IMG_4071 - Copy.JPG

:cool::cool::cool:
Love those pins and that downtube decal Pete! Thinking that brake set-up is a good chunk o' change:eek:

Very interested in the drum brake setup if you decide to part with it.
JKent

Great bicycle!
I echo @Krautwaggen s sentiment.
Whatever wheels you decide to use, it'll be a cool bike.
If it were mine I'd need both sets, as I'd probably be riding it till I rapidly wore one set out! lol

Back