When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kasual Klunker (Formerly "The Ratical Rustin' Hornet")

-
That rear valve stem looks awful short. Did you checkie the air pressure before or after the trip? Cones adjusted good so under torque that big rear tire wasn't lightly rubbing on the stays? I know that kind of pea gravel is somewhat like walking in sand depending on how deep and loose it is. I doubt that tread is causing much of an issue on that small gravel. But it might on asphalt.
I think it's just the angle of the photo. It's plenty long for me. I did air it up to 40psi before I left for the trip. No rubbing on the stays. That gravel was pretty firm for the most part, but what you don't see in the picture are the larger gravel chunks around the curves of the trail. Either way, I'm going to try out some diamond tread street tires today and see if that makes any difference.

Okay, got some more progress to report!

First, I cleaned up and installed these 2 26" x 2.125" diamond tread tires I got from my friend Allan.
217969-BftD-52-hornet-112222-1.jpg

They may not look quite as cool as the knobbier tires I had on before, but I think they still look alright. I bet they'd look even nicer if I painted over the pink stripes with a deeper red! After I shot this photo, I slapped the chain guard back on and took the Schwinn for a test ride around the neighborhood.
217970-BftD-52-hornet-112222-2.jpg

Despite the change in tires, both of which were inflated to the recommended 40psi, I still felt it wasn't any easier to pedal than before. This leads me to believe I need to change the rear gear. Speaking of which, during my 2nd test ride today, the chain came off the rear gear. Turns out that it really does take 2 people to install the rear wheel correctly on this bike. I figured I could get the chain tight enough on my own this time around, but unfortunately, the axle washers like to "walk forward" as I tighten them down, despite having teeth that should make that less of an issue.
217971-BftD-52-hornet-112222-3.jpg

217972-BftD-52-hornet-112222-4.jpg

So now what?

Well, I'm not sure what exactly I'll be doing during Thanksgiving, but after Turkey Day, there's a major BMX race and show happening at the Tulsa Expo this weekend. My friend @billn will be there hosting and organizing the Vintage BMX show on Saturday, and it'd be fun to hang out with him and all the other bike guys who'll be there. I'd like to try and get this bike into a more rideable state in time for that show. Don't know if I'm able to enter it into the event, but I would like to at least show it off and ride it around there either way.

Thankfully, I don't think it'll be too much effort to get the kinks I've been struggling with sorted out by then. All I really need to do is:
1. Swap the rear gear,
2. Modify the chain length to fit,
3. Reinstall the wheel and chain,
4. Swap out the seat and seat post for something more comfortable to ride on,
5. Swap grips to match new seat, and
6. Button up and tweak everything as needed.

If I can get the rideability issues sorted out, then I can focus on all the aesthetic mods I have in mind, few as they may be. I don't know if I'll be able to do any painting during the fall/winter season, but as long as I can ride this bike now, I'm happy.

Side note: I didn't do the whole "measure and compare" thing today, but I'll definitely test it out when I have more time to tinker with it.

My Favorite setup is a 46 tooth Spaceley sproket and a 22 tooth Cogswell cog out back.Makes for a GREAT Kruizer.P.S if that setup doesent bring the rear axel far enough back in the rear dropout with the chain get a half link for the chain.It brings it back in the drop out just right.SMOOTHER THAN A FRESH JAR OF SKIPPY. Hope this helps. HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!!

Okay, got some more progress to report!

First, I cleaned up and installed these 2 26" x 2.125" diamond tread tires I got from my friend Allan.
View attachment 1737673

They may not look quite as cool as the knobbier tires I had on before, but I think they still look alright. I bet they'd look even nicer if I painted over the pink stripes with a deeper red! After I shot this photo, I slapped the chain guard back on and took the Schwinn for a test ride around the neighborhood.
View attachment 1737674

Despite the change in tires, both of which were inflated to the recommended 40psi, I still felt it wasn't any easier to pedal than before. This leads me to believe I need to change the rear gear. Speaking of which, during my 2nd test ride today, the chain came off the rear gear. Turns out that it really does take 2 people to install the rear wheel correctly on this bike. I figured I could get the chain tight enough on my own this time around, but unfortunately, the axle washers like to "walk forward" as I tighten them down, despite having teeth that should make that less of an issue.
View attachment 1737675
View attachment 1737676

So now what?

Well, I'm not sure what exactly I'll be doing during Thanksgiving, but after Turkey Day, there's a major BMX race and show happening at the Tulsa Expo this weekend. My friend @billn will be there hosting and organizing the Vintage BMX show on Saturday, and it'd be fun to hang out with him and all the other bike guys who'll be there. I'd like to try and get this bike into a more rideable state in time for that show. Don't know if I'm able to enter it into the event, but I would like to at least show it off and ride it around there either way.

Thankfully, I don't think it'll be too much effort to get the kinks I've been struggling with sorted out by then. All I really need to do is:
1. Swap the rear gear,
2. Modify the chain length to fit,
3. Reinstall the wheel and chain,
4. Swap out the seat and seat post for something more comfortable to ride on,
5. Swap grips to match new seat, and
6. Button up and tweak everything as needed.

If I can get the rideability issues sorted out, then I can focus on all the aesthetic mods I have in mind, few as they may be. I don't know if I'll be able to do any painting during the fall/winter season, but as long as I can ride this bike now, I'm happy.

Side note: I didn't do the whole "measure and compare" thing today, but I'll definitely test it out when I have more time to tinker with it.
Here's an idea for the rear axle to prevent it from walking on ya, take and put an extra flat washer on each side.. When you tighten the axle nuts, do the non chain side first then if you need to.pull the chain tighter apply slight pressure as your tightening the chain side axle nut.. This should get the wheel centered in the drop outs and your chain should have the proper 5/8" slack in it. Good luck Austin...

My Favorite setup is a 46 tooth Spaceley sproket and a 22 tooth Cogswell cog out back.Makes for a GREAT Kruizer.P.S if that setup doesent bring the rear axel far enough back in the rear dropout with the chain get a half link for the chain.It brings it back in the drop out just right.SMOOTHER THAN A FRESH JAR OF SKIPPY. Hope this helps. HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!!
The chain length isn't the issue right now. The problem is that when I tighten the axle nuts, the axle walks forward, so I can't get it tight enough unless I have someone either hold the wheel back while I tighten everything down, or I hold the wheel and have someone else tighten it down. I have used half-links before though, so we'll see what happens when I switch to a different gear.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Okay, Now that I know the gear ratio for this bike (46t & 19t, currently,) I realize that it's the same gear ratio I have on Shoestring.
218033-BftD-Shoestring-FINAL-main-SCALED.jpg

What stumps me here is that Shoestring is much easier and more fun to pedal, while this Schwinn so far hasn't been. My guess is that it's because Shoestring's coaster brake hub was rebuilt and packed with new grease, while the wheel I'm currently using hasn't had a hub rebuild and the grease may be thinner or something. So, as much as I'd rather avoid it, it looks like I ought to go ahead and rebuild this coaster brake hub. Hopefully it'll go better than last time.

Seat position may have something to do with it too, since I used a layback seat post on Shoestring, but not on this bike. Still, I have a few bikes with the seat positioned like this Schwinn, and they're just fine when it comes to riding comfort. I can play around with seat positions later, since I need to swap seat posts so I can mount a more comfortable seat onto this bike.

Okay, got some progress to report, albeit a bit later than intended.

Last Saturday morning, I swapped out the tubes on the tires, and installed a seat off another Schwinn I own in preparation for a vintage BMX bike show being held during the Tulsa BMX Grand Nationals. That all took a bit longer than anticipated, mostly due to the seat post I swapped in being somewhat narrower than the one I took out. I had to cut out a shim from another beverage can to get it to better fit inside the seat tube.
218907-BftD-52-hornet-new-seat-1.jpg

218908-BftD-52-hornet-new-seat-2.jpg

218909-BftD-52-hornet-new-seat-3.jpg

218910-BftD-52-hornet-new-seat-4.jpg

Odds are I'll swap out the seat again, mostly because it outshines the rest of the bike. It's plenty comfortable, but I may just use one of the many black seats I've got in stock instead, and add some black handlebar grips to go along with it. Just have to fiddle with it.

Once I got The Kasual Klunker ready, I headed over to the Tulsa Expo Square for the BMX Grand Nationals. Despite living here my whole life, I had only just learned about this event this year, thanks to my friend @billn on ratrodbikes.com. Apparently, this event has been happening for well over 20 years! I figured this would just be a small gathering of about 100-or-so BMX racers and enthusiasts, same as most of what I see here in Oklahoma. GOSH NO! This place was packed with thousands of riders, pit crews, spectators, vendors, and staff all taking part in this event! I've been to the Tulsa Expo for multiple events and shows over the years, but I can't remember the last time it felt this CROWDED before! There were so many folks riding their bikes and scooters through the crowds that it was tough to navigate around the building whether I walked or rode my bike! Moving through the Expo with all that traffic felt like what I saw watching all those videos of traffic in India! It was crazy! Made me wish I brought my GoPro to the show!

I didn't get a ton of photos or videos of the event, but here's a bit of what I saw out at the BMX Grand Nationals on Saturday. (If you want to check out some videos I shot at the event, look here.)
218943-BftD-BMX-112622-1.jpg

218944-BftD-BMX-112622-2.jpg

218945-BftD-BMX-112622-3.jpg

218946-BftD-BMX-112622-4.jpg

218947-BftD-BMX-112622-5.jpg

218948-BftD-BMX-112622-6.jpg

218949-BftD-BMX-112622-7.jpg

218950-BftD-BMX-112622-8.jpg

218951-BftD-BMX-112622-9.jpg

218952-BftD-BMX-112622-10.jpg

218953-BftD-BMX-112622-11.jpg

218954-BftD-BMX-112622-12.jpg