When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Katakura Silk Sports Cycle

-

Art Smith

On Training Wheels
Afternoon, all, I found this Katakura Silk Sports Cycle for $25 last week. Really wasn't sure what I had and drug it home hoping to pull the racks off as I have a long term plan to build a nice touring bike. (I had a great Mercian years ago) Found out that Katakura has some notoriety as a road bike, but didn't learn much about this lightweight (it aint!) beast. Bike lock, rear and front (huge, double) generator lights, nice fenders but the components are nothing special. Frame is a bit small for me. Here is my question and my dilemma. The way all the add-ons on this bike are labeled silk, it appears that this was a whole package bike with extras made for this specific bike model. I don't know enough about this specific model to know if it is better to keep the bike intact and move it on. Again, I have hardly anything in it. Or cannibalize what I can use and move the rest on. Any thoughts? I collected bikes seriously up until I moved from Arizona to NJ. I stepped away from bikes and wrenching for several years, but am enjoying working on them in my sunset years! However, I don't want a yard full of project bikes. Any knowledge of this specific bike or opinions on the keep or part out question would be greatly appreciated. (Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me identify a European built J C Higgins I queried about recently. It was finding that bike that has stoked my recent interest in bikes again.)

Katakura Silk Sports  Cycle.jpg

katakura lights.jpg

Back