When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

keeping the peace with a spouse/g/f/partner

-

Nashman

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I find myself not having to justify my hobby spending ( never really had to that much in a 29 year marriage either?) because I am independent financially and my G/F of several years and I generally do what we want with our individual spare cash and share bills etc. STILL...I find I have more crazy purchases than her ( bicycle and vintage car/toy related) so being old fashioned ( it is her Birthday coming up too) I find a token gift helps. Ha!! Just a tip for Cabers!!! See attached. Bday gift ( turned 62 this month/she turns 60 this week) for me was a '39 Hiawatha ( to myself/from myself...lol..) but a dozen roses is a good start for her. More to come. Likely a rented cabin in the woods once the lakes warm up and we can swim and Kayak.

P1010039.JPG

bevin bell.JPG

rose 1.JPG

rose 2.JPG

I find myself not having to justify my hobby spending ( never really had to that much in a 29 year marriage either?) because I am independent financially and my G/F of several years and I generally do what we want with our individual spare cash and share bills etc. STILL...I find I have more crazy purchases than her ( bicycle and vintage car/toy related) so being old fashioned ( it is her Birthday coming up too) I find a token gift helps. Ha!! Just a tip for Cabers!!! See attached. Bday gift ( turned 62 this month/she turns 60 this week) for me was a '39 Hiawatha ( to myself/from myself...lol..) but a dozen roses is a good start for her. More to come. Likely a rented cabin in the woods once the lakes warm up and we can swim and Kayak.

View attachment 989767

View attachment 989768

View attachment 989770

View attachment 989771
I'd say that you're on the right track. You ARE thinking of her too... Happy B-day by the way. My wife will be 60 in a few weeks and I will be 60 later this year. My wife is a collector/antique dealer so she understands this stuff. The main issue that I run in to with her is how much to spend on one item, like a good quality bike. She isn't comfortable with spending many hundreds or thousands of dollars on one bike, so I have to flip bikes and help her with her stuff to build a bank if I want to step up to a more expensive bike. Based on your story it looks like we're into the same stuff. Vintage bikes, vintage cars, and for me old toy cars and trucks and auto related stuff.

View attachment 989767

View attachment 989768

View attachment 989770

View attachment 989771
I also have no spending limit on my hobbies.I dont usually go crazy though.I let my wife buy anything she wants and that always works out well for both of us.lol She also likes many of the same things I collect.We enjoy road trips and coming home with "stuff".

I'd say that you're on the right track. You ARE thinking of her too... Happy B-day by the way. My wife will be 60 in a few weeks and I will be 60 later this year. My wife is a collector/antique dealer so she understands this stuff. The main issue that I run in to with her is how much to spend on one item, like a good quality bike. She isn't comfortable with spending many hundreds or thousands of dollars on one bike, so I have to flip bikes and help her with her stuff to build a bank if I want to step up to a more expensive bike. Based on your story it looks like we're into the same stuff. Vintage bikes, vintage cars, and for me old toy cars and trucks and auto related stuff.

Thanks, and "right on" to your relationship and good taste.My G/F also has a good eye for vintage, but is more controlled in her spending. I have a bit more dough, so share and treat her a bit. I know if the situation was reverse, she would do the same. All the best and Happy Bday coming up to you both! Bob

That place is nuts. Guys I knew always had garages or basements or sheds, but that place is full of high end bikes and all kinds of stuff. The sky's the limit there... My ole lady is fine with my stuff as long as it stays in the garage. We have power out there but no heat or running water. There are a few old bikes. Just stuff I come across and fix. I remember as a kid we had this neighbor who pulled junk and fixed it up. He filled his whole shed up with it. He was a handy guy and had apparently been in the WPA back in the 30s. But he never got out of the depression. He pulled stuff from the side of the road and fixed it. Filled a whole damned shed with it. One day part of the roof collapses on his shed and breaks all this stuff. The guy's wife had him throw it all away. She must have worked on him for weeks to get him to cave in and toss everything. People came from all over the area to pick through what was left. I remember a guy leaving with a busted cathedral radio for the parts of it. Another guy left with a fender from a one of those old streamliner pickups that was Studebaker or Hudson. Life gives and takes away. This guy must have felt like wild birds were picking his nuts off in public that day.

I also have no spending limit on my hobbies.I dont usually go crazy though.I let my wife buy anything she wants and that always works out well for both of us.lol She also likes many of the same things I collect.We enjoy road trips and coming home with "stuff".
That's great Vince. Keep up the compatible vibes. It's easier to live in harmony if possible. Life is better. Cheers....Bob

beach time.JPG

SAM_0767.jpg

Heather Met.JPG

Heath met 2.JPG

you guys are killing me.

For years, Karen would ask me why anyone would need more than one bike.

A couple of years ago, we were at the swap in Grand Prairie and she spotted a 48 Roadmaster Deluxe she liked, and she had 2 bikes.

Last year, I bought her a 1953 Monark Sunliner, which she loves. A few months later, I bought a brand new Huffy Regatta, for almost free, I was going to harvest the 3 speed nexus, anyway, I showed her the bike when I got home and, she then had 4 bikes.

Last month we did the 600 mile round trip to get her 1941 Elgin Deluxe Sport.

The only problem I have so far, is that most of her bikes are more minty than mine. The Elgin and the Sunliner look like new.

Oh well, first world problems.
53 Monark Sunliner beauty.jpg

20190412_182717.jpg

27501128_10155421646322921_8714273492199230747_o.jpg

Regatta.jpg

Last edited:
Back