When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kelly Handlebar Problem Solving- Opinion Poll

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
I'd love to get some caber insight into an ongoing effort to complete these Kelly bars.

Once upon a time another caber harvested the Kelly nut & toothed washer from this set and it was left with a modern chrome nut & no washer to secure it.

This one piece bar style of Kellys is new to me but I appreciate the design so I wanted to try to get it right as I could.

I found a damaged solo Kelly bar section courtesy of Reed in NJ and had it shaved down to what I felt like was a safe thickness/profile. I also sought out an appropriately sized / threaded and aged nut, this is what I came up with.

All that to ask, what do you think?
Look acceptable? Suggestions to improve?

I'm going to do a little salt water aging to the fresh cut metal eventually but aside from that I don't know how else to improve the curb appeal of this monkeyed with set of Kellys.

I am considering an aged acorn nut, but that may look silly I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism, doin the best I can with it.

74da20b51733cbbfa747d05f3a3e41bf.jpg

900656e5798ff91a08a6c55f6f0db896.jpg

ceb2de3a40e0338069b77c919194a1fe.jpg

6707b810b74d86a7e025e768aa6968ef.jpg

4a401b312d49585685a9d1cdde6374f5.jpg

b9fd5acfd5e1606a3eb1645f7eb6b4fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting set of bars! :cool:
A precision, machine shop surface grinder or milling machine should work fine for an accurate dimension on the backside and yet leave that front surface of the nut intact and aged. Any worn patina ed nut you may choose to blend in.
I'm positive, those were my bars at one time and yes, I did use the original nut and washer for another set of adjustable Kelly's I had, that didn't have the original nut & washer intact.....If I would have kept them, I would have done what you're doing right now.

Last edited:
I also thought a more slender nut would finish it off, looks like it's time to find a more finely suited machine shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also thought a more slender nut would finish it off, looks like it's time to find a more finely suited machine shop.

@Jesse McCauley - I had an adjustable set of bars with a similar predicament, so I went down to my local hardware store and bought a "jam nut", which is usually about half as thick as a regular nut- worked just fine! An .80 cent solution to the problem.

Should be easy to find at just about any hardware store in various sizes and thread pitches.

Back