When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kenwood TOC wooden wheeler - a newbie jumps in

-

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Giant box just arrived with this mammer jammer in it yesterday. Haven't had time to unpack it so I'm posting the ebay pics. Its a Kenwood. Hard to believe the sum total of information about the company out there seems to be one brief Chicago history site, 2 catalogs and about 5 bicycles that have rolled through the CABE.

I have extensive experience restoring old machines but have never done a bicycle before. You could say I'm a little obessed now. CABE may want to start a "get treatment" forum. Help me.

I do want to make it rideable, seems like it's close already. No intention of glossy restoration, mostly just preserve and enjoy. I'll save whatever parts I have to swap on it so someone could take it back to current state if wanted. What I liked about it appears to be mostly original, wasn't a rustbucket, and the price seemed reasonable.

The CABE has already been a great source of information and I'm sure I'll be hitting the membership up for information (such as how do you straighten a wooden rim?) but for now, its going to be a winter project. Future needs include...period or period correct (or just decent looking) pedals and grips. Can't decide if I'll restore the seat or just get a "gently used" one.

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600-10.jpg

s-l1600-11.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The “repairs” look so good this one maybe should be left as a study bike. There are many mussed up bikes to get rideable that are of lesser interest to the historian.
689BF2E8-5868-45CA-8206-83C6B3D08CA0.png

53D19F46-C1D2-4348-9CAC-6D9BDCCFDB38.png

Very nice. I like the old tape on the wheel. I would leave it for display myself. You will have some fun and learn a lot here. Welcome to the CABE!!!

Given that there were over 300 companies making bikes at the turn of the century it does not surprise me that so little is known about many of them. Most only existed for a relatively short time before either completely disappearing or being absorbed by another manufacturer. Looks like a solid start and should be relatively easy to get going again. V/r Shawn

I love diamond frame TOC bikes, the fragileness but strength of steel all in one simple package .Just two 28" wheels, leather saddle, mustache bars and a single chainring sprocket.......simple but unique!

Back