When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kharkov Velocipyed Zavod: 1964 HVZ V64 Record

-

J-Shooter

On Training Wheels
PXL_20220424_175927714.jpg
PXL_20220424_180515017.jpg
PXL_20220424_180155413.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220424_180125830.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220424_180223006.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220424_180654406.jpg
PXL_20220424_180728375.MP.jpg
PXL_20220424_180632980.jpg
PXL_20220424_180022383.PORTRAIT.jpg

I bought this frame about a year ago on eBay and have spent the past year tracking down parts and putting it together. It's all period correct HVZ parts except for the NOS Nisi rims and saddle borrowed from my grandfather's Bottechia. It required quite a bit of small repairs, and it was my first experience with building wheels.

-----

thanks so much for sharing this fascinating project with the forum

can see that if you began with a bare frame it must have been a challenge to locate all of the required period correct fittings

in the photos it appears the left crank arm may be mounted backwards - i certainly could be mistaken as know nothing of these products

are the arms a matched set? they appear different in the photos

here is what the missing head emblem may have looked like -

1650932014659.png

1970's era road model, note how brake caliper resembles MAFAC Competition and brake lever resembles GB Coureur

model B37 derailleur three-speed

bespoke wood frame -

model B-39 derailleur three-speed

machine set up for training in Arizona

roadster model

thank you again for sharing this project with the forum

-----

Juvela-

You are 100% correct! I mounted the crank backwards and didn't even notice. I don't know how I missed that, you are very attentive!
PXL_20220426_030158254.jpg

Here is a head badge that was kindly provided to me by a gentleman who helped me find some parts. It's on my to-do list, but I've never mounted a head badge and I'm not sure how I want to go about doing it. It seems like they often fell off, so I might pursue a route other than the standard rivets.

Thanks for all those links! Definitely interesting to check out. I love the blue/white paint with the distinctive lugs.

On the subject of brakes- The Mafac-esque HVZ brakes are certainly very cool. My frame can take a rear brake, and a good friend has a blue Record from the 80s that can take both front/rear brakes. I want to take my bike to a critical mass ride this weekend, but a large crowd of unruly and inexperienced riders makes me nervous without brakes. I'd hate to trash this thing within a week of finishing it. I may temporarily mount a rear Mafac until I can find one of the HVZ appropriate knockoffs.

I also located another set of those lovely hubs! I love that they look like they were made on a wood lathe, lol. With the huge tire clearances of this frame, I may build up a set of wheels with some beefy tires just for the novelty.

I made a couple minor tweaks to the bike tonight, I am extremely surprised at how nice it feels. The bearings are all great, everything feels dead solid, and handles beautifully at speed. I'm trying to take it easy, especially considering the the "artisanal" nature of the components, but this thing feels like an absolute rocketship.

-----

thanks very much for the response

fine work on your part! 😉

---

wrt MAFAC-esque brakes -

one or two of the machines in those links is fitted with caliper brakes which somewhat resemble the MAFAC Tiger model rather than the Racer model or the Competition model

makes one wonder if they also did a version of the Top 63 model...

...perhaps the company was inspired to replicate the entire range! 😲

-----

Last edited:
Back