When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kickback

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

indiancharlie

On Training Wheels
I would like to know if they ever put a kick back in the baloon tire bikes?If not can it be done.THANX INDIANCHARLIE

The kickback was first introduced in 1960, which, for all intents and purposes, was after the balloon reign ended. That being said, I don't think a ballooner was ever offered with it. I'm sure you could have had a dealer install one on a new bike.

Regardless, lacing one into an S2 is easy. You may not even need to change the spokes if it came from an S7. I think they're 10 3/8"? 4 cross maybe?

Any bicycle shop could install one on your bike. I had a Bendix two speed red band hub installed on my Silver King. My favorite 2 speed is the manual Bendix two speed. All you do is squeeze a lever. It locks the hub into a higher gear. You can apply the brakes without changing gears. Those kick back hubs can be a real pain in the butt. They change gears too easily.

Check it out.........
IMG_0810.jpg
IMG_0808.jpg
'41 Firestone Flying Ace with Sturmey-Archer 2 speed kickback

Corbin Two-Speed coaster brake came out as early as 1906.

The 1906 Racycle catalog at Howie Cohen's Everything Bicycles lists the following hub options:

Corbin Duplex Coaster Brake (Corbin Screw Corporation)
Corbin Two-Speed Coaster Brake (Corbin Screw Corporation)
New Departure Coaster Brake (The Bell) (New Departure Manufacturing Co.)
New Morrow Coaster Brake (Eclipse Machine Co.)
Thor Coaster Brake (Aurora Automatic Machinery Co.)

NOTES: This is the earliest instance of the Corbin Two-Speed to date

Here's the earliest ad I've found to date. 1907 - Corbin Duplex Model 6 & Corbin Two-Speed Model 10, The Corbin Screw Corporation

books7png-1.jpg

Gary,
Can you tell me about the Corbin Model 7 Duplex coaster brake hub?
image1344-1.jpg

Giovanni,

The Corbin Duplex Coaster Brake Model 7 had a production run from 1908 to 1909; it had the first machined brake arm for this series of Corbin hubs; and continued the concave hub shell begun with the Model 6.

There were very few changes made between the Model 7 & Model 8. Internally even the Model 6 uses many of the same parts.

The Model 8 had Corbin's longest production run of any of their hubs, 1909-1929.

IMG_1324-1.jpg

Corbin Duplex Model 7 on left - 1908 to 1909
Corbin Duplex Model 8 on right - 1909 to 1929

IMG_2186_zpsfea5f51b-1.jpg

IMG_2189_zps6fbf01cb-1.jpg

IMG_2197_zps9baebf23-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back