When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kickstand question

-

rusty.kirkpatrick

I live for the CABE
6219519F-92FF-46E6-994B-C7C56084D330.jpeg
A0A8B6E2-8470-4D8A-A41C-EAB92E22B0BE.jpeg
Working on my 2nd Schwinn ever, kickstand wouldn’t stay down. Took it apart and lookes like one side of the the little nipple holding the spring on the stand was broken, also had little pieces of metal in there. Anyway, is the spring holder replaceable, or do I need another kickstand? Thanks for any help.

Had the same problem. Found a correct size rolled pin at my local hardware store. If I remember correctly, I drove the new one in to drive the old one out. No need to compress the spring. Probably wouldn't hurt to compress it and hold it while replacing it though.

Ed

I'm thinking it was a solid pin since the spring tension will hold it in place along with the stand tube. A rolled pin would work but there is pressure on the pin as it slides on the cam so it may not last as long.

How's the cam look? Might want to replace that too if it's all chewed up. Just tap it out from the drive side and make note of the orientation.

How's the cam look? Might want to replace that too if it's all chewed up. Just tap it out from the drive side and make note of the orientation.
It wasn’t too bad if I remember right, but I did knock it out and don’t remember how it went, lol. Trial and error I guess. I had thought about replacing it with something the same size. Appreciate the tips.

You can also knock the old pin out and put the worn part inward facing the washer and that puts a fresh new edge facing out against the cam. I’ve done that many times. Chances are we will never wear one of those pins out in our lifetimes like kids always seem to.

There is a guy who sells the pins for replacement on eBay - He also sells all the screw/nuts/bolt/washers in kit for the fender mounting, chainguard mounting and rack to frame mounting. Look under Lowkey Motors. I got two of these replacement pins in my last order.

REC

Back