When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

King size production numbers

-
As mentioned, the fork is specific to the frame, as the steerer is much longer. But so is the rear fender. The mounting is different to accommodate the larger frame. So, a fender swap at dealer is unlikely.

I know the initial post mentions KSHD, and as said, it is likely a fair amount ended up in industrial applications. But the KS American that was also available would have theoretically been available on sales floors nation wide.
I will say, the HD frame I previously had was pretty well beat. Where as the American I have that came from the original owner is in pretty cherry shape.

I think part of the scarcity is simply people have no idea they have a Schwinn that’s any different from a standard middle weight. (Think outside of enthusiast.) But that isn’t to say they aren’t rare. I was at my local co-op and a guy rode up on a king size American. After trying to buy it off him, and him declining several times, I told him more info about his bike. He had absolutely no idea. And I also know of a few being found for sale with no mention of them being king size.

Although exactly how many where made may never be known. Based on the information we have, dates produced, serial numbers. Estimates can be made, I suppose.

I think part of the scarcity is simply people have no idea they have a Schwinn that’s any different from a standard middle weight.
That is a great point. As far as them being used for commercial use, do you think that would account for a very large number of bikes? I'm just trying to gauge an idea of total numbers. I would think the total number would not be nearly as large as other models. Regardless of numbers they are still '60s middle weights and their value is what it is. I enjoying things that are one off or rare, I have a couple rare bikes and they are worth no more then any other bikes of the time. Schwinn oddities like all Schwinn bikes seem to carry a higher value or status weather deserved or not. I prefer the bigger frame makes for a very comfortable ride in my case. I wish some more lurking guests on the site would join and add to the list or at least take a second look at the HD in their garage. Then promptly PM me when they want to sell haha

The serial numbers on the older frames are indicative as to when the frame was made, and not when the bike came off the assembly line as a complete bike. It is only used as guestimate when dating the model year of the bike. You need to look at the sum of the whole when dating the older bikes, since they never used the head badge dating code that was created in the mid 70's.
Agree, cool info guys, I started the registry a few years ago to get an idea what was out their in the collector world, and to get Cabers to start looking for them, and it has proven that they are rare in terms of survivors. As far as the number produced I agree the only true way to know is factory records. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Agree, cool info guys, I started the registry a few years ago to get an idea what was out their in the collector world, and it has proven that they are rare in terms of survivors. As far as the number produced I agree the only true way to know is factory records.
I do not mind being in such an exclusive club haha

Afternoon and happy holidays to all!

All good info but, how do I explain this bike? I know SN enough that I don't need to look them up its simple. I wasn't going to debate it with the seller he was sure. The fenders were in question to me then found out about the local warehouse (it might have taken care of the whole east coast for all I know). This thread started and I thought I would dig into things. I really expected the forks to be 62 forks not end of year 63. Thought maybe they might have been bent and replaced but after pulling the crank and seeing 64 the story is sounding real. Nothing else is KS specific but is anything else dated? I usually don't dig into dates this much just the year of the frame.
These bikes are harder to find and parts harder still. To find a matching color frame, fork and chainguard at a later time I think would be hard to do.

Did these bikes even come down the line? Or were they special order dealer built bikes like later cruisers? IDK

Afternoon and happy holidays to all!

All good info but, how do I explain this bike? I know SN enough that I don't need to look them up its simple. I wasn't going to debate it with the seller he was sure. The fenders were in question to me then found out about the local warehouse (it might have taken care of the whole east coast for all I know). This thread started and I thought I would dig into things. I really expected the forks to be 62 forks not end of year 63. Thought maybe they might have been bent and replaced but after pulling the crank and seeing 64 the story is sounding real. Nothing else is KS specific but is anything else dated? I usually don't dig into dates this much just the year of the frame.
These bikes are harder to find and parts harder still. To find a matching color frame, fork and chainguard at a later time I think would be hard to do.

Did these bikes even come down the line? Or were they special order dealer built bikes like later cruisers? IDK

Maybe post a few pics of the complete bike you are referencing? As they say..........a picture is worth a 1000 words! Lots of things can happen to a bike over its 50+ years of existence.

As for them out in the industrial world, Ive worked at mobil oil Paulsboro, Texaco eagle point, Sunoco Philly, Dupont, GM boxwood rd, Chrysler Willimington, Yeah bikes were everywhere. The refineries had lots of bikes locked up in racks rusting away for decades. I know some were Schwinns but don't know the models didn't know a KS existed.

Last edited:
Something I'm just noticing is the chainguard. Did all the Americans have that same paint scheme or were they different through the years?

Back