When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Klunker build

-
The great thing about clunkers is that that the originators of the movement tried every conceivable combination and variation. Consequently, it's virtually impossible to build one "wrong", unless there is some component that is obviously too modern. Even if you can't find objective evidence, it's still in the spirit of the movement.

My first exposure to clunkers was the "Clunkers Among the Hills" article that Charlie Kelly wrote for the January 1979 issue of Bicycling. Given, that the founders obviously were referring to them as "clunkers" (with a 'c') at the time, as opposed to "klunkers" (with a 'k'), I have often wondered when and why the spelling changed. Even people like Kelly himself have converted to "klunker" but I still prefer "clunker" out of deference to the origin.

clunkers among the hills.JPG

Thanks for the replies all, I made up my mind.
I want the frame to be as original as possible, so decided not to braze on the bosses I already bought a while back.
A member here has a set of canti's for sale, so going for that.
Just the mounts and the brakes, and will use the motorbike handles pictured above.
There will be no more modifications done than coldsetting the rear to fit a 130mm hub.

Any idea of the type and year of the frame?
I've guessed it prewar because of the dropouts, is that correct?

BTW the set of canti's are both for the front, so I'll have to check if I can use them on the rear.
The rear ones are pretty rare, never seen one for sale before.

I had that in mind for this build, everything was tried back then.
For parts choice I used Alan's site and combined a few builds to my taste.
This will be a approx. '78 build when the first alloy rims came availlable.

there is a rear brake with cable and 2 handls on mpls cr but the brake caliper is to an early lihght weight so you wouldneed the adaptor that used 2 be sold,the easyest way is to use a nultispeed rear hub with a coaster brake

That is a DX frame. Yes pre WWII. I'm still learning on the years, but if you post up a pic of the serial number I'm sure we could figure it out.

Jon

Sweet stem! Not to sure your rear derailleur is going to work though. You'll probably need a longer pull cage. --opps. Just realized there was a page two and an up date, so never mind about the derailleur. Good luck!

Last edited:
Sweet stem! Not to sure your rear derailleur is going to work though. You'll probably need a longer pull cage. --opps. Just realized there was a page two and an up date, so never mind about the derailleur. Good luck!
I'm afraid it might be to short as well, but couldn't find a longer one. I'll have to try when it is finished.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D855 met Tapatalk

Back