When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Klunker Build

-

Intense One

I live for the CABE
Looking to build a Klunker style bike with a '65 Schwinn American frame with springer. Thinking about using S/A 3 speed tranny instead of running a 5 speed with derailleur. Any thoughts? Just in the thinking phase now............. Ray

image.jpg

Last edited:
Who cares if "they" didn't use springers? And, actually, they used whatever they wanted. I've seen vintage photos of klunkers with springers, since they probably tried everything they had laying around.

Most ended up with a bladed fork and truss rods for strength, at least until bmx style cruiser forks became available, probably because of the weakness, mushy feel, and the way springers tend to wash out in hard corners.

A modern klunker type bike can be anything you want.

If you're gonna hit serious trails, I wouldn't go with the SA. Those three speeds have a tendency to shift on their own, or find "neutral," usually when you're putting the hammer down.

But if you're just building a custom cruiser, do what you want.

Who cares if "they" didn't use springers? And, actually, they used whatever they wanted. I've seen vintage photos of klunkers with springers, since they probably tried everything they had laying around.

Most ended up with a bladed fork and truss rods for strength, at least until bmx style cruiser forks became available, probably because of the weakness, mushy feel, and the way springers tend to wash out in hard corners.

A modern klunker type bike can be anything you want.

If you're gonna hit serious trails, I wouldn't go with the SA. Those three speeds have a tendency to shift on their own, or find "neutral," usually when you're putting the hammer down.

But if you're just building a custom cruiser, do what you want.
Good feedback, guys. Pretty much in the thought process. Mostly a "not for brutal use" bike. I have my F/S mtn bike for that!

Good info on the S/A.....Didn't think about the lurking danger of busting a nut or two and singing soprano when cranking down on a slipping tranny! You're right...back in the day there were no rules to follow....do a build with what you had in your personal inventory and go for it.

Other than the obligatory stripping away of anything extraneous and heavy ( fenders, racks, chain guard ..etc) a few of the classic accessories that spell Klunker to me are...motoX bars and levers, front drum brake, rat trap pedals, knobby tires, Brooks b72 saddle, tall seat post...maybe some gears, or maybe a kick brake and rear caliper brake coupled with the front drum for a real down hill Bomber ! (I grew up very close to Mt. Tam, still here).

Of course, borrowing bits and pieces as you see fit is what it's all about !
My number one favorite rider is a 1970 Heavy Duti that I took the front fender off, bobbed the back fender, threw a B72 and some old coke bottle grips on it. When the Tractors finally split, I picked up some sweet Pirellis ... It bombs like a dream !

I found Alan Bonds site to be a fantastic resource for Klunker history.

Keeping that in mind, the original Klunkers were kids stripping down Newsboy Schwinn bikes and running them in the dirt. Moneywise and resource wise, I doubt they were running high dollar stuff!

Is always nice to see other folks building these fun bikes. I built mine about 4 years ago and never looked back, the bike is so much fun to ride.
At first I was not sure if I would use one of my straight bar frames or one of my Dx frames, at the end I went with a Dx build.

2011 misx 001.jpg

frame repair 006 (Medium).jpg

1941 schwinn dx klunker hybrid 021.jpg

6747789711_824dc6230f_b.jpg

6749449231_b004b61800_b (Medium).jpg

If you want the versatility of a 3 speed hub, go with one of the new Sturmeys with the integrated drum brake. 3 speeds and a drum, pretty rad. 70mm is the standard version, the heavy duty one has a 90mm drum brake, which is awesome. Run a 90mm drum hub up front, you're good to go. Given, it'll take some doing to fit the hubs to the frame, spreading the rear triangle and such, but it's worth it.
Cheers, Geoff

I found Alan Bonds site to be a fantastic resource for Klunker history.

Keeping that in mind, the original Klunkers were kids stripping down Newsboy Schwinn bikes and running them in the dirt. Moneywise and resource wise, I doubt they were running high dollar stuff!
Agreed...we kids were always on a tight budget and used whatever was available.

Back