When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Klunker Build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you want the versatility of a 3 speed hub, go with one of the new Sturmeys with the integrated drum brake. 3 speeds and a drum, pretty rad. 70mm is the standard version, the heavy duty one has a 90mm drum brake, which is awesome. Run a 90mm drum hub up front, you're good to go. Given, it'll take some doing to fit the hubs to the frame, spreading the rear triangle and such, but it's worth it.
Cheers, Geoff
Good info, Geoff.....I'm reverting to my young blood days when I had to use what's available to me, now. Of course, we as adults now can bend those rules a bit!

And then if you want to really go all the way, pick up some alloy 26" hoops to lace the modern hubs up to. Some of the rims intended for use with disc brake hubs have a profile similar to the prewar drop centers. If you look into modern hoops, be aware that there's 36 hole and 32 hole versions, make sure the rim drilling matches the hub drilling.
Cheers, Geoff

If you want the versatility of a 3 speed hub, go with one of the new Sturmeys with the integrated drum brake. 3 speeds and a drum, pretty rad. 70mm is the standard version, the heavy duty one has a 90mm drum brake, which is awesome. Run a 90mm drum hub up front, you're good to go. Given, it'll take some doing to fit the hubs to the frame, spreading the rear triangle and such, but it's worth it.
Cheers, Geoff

I will have to check those out! I am running Ukia's on the bike, and have some S-2 hoops ready to be laced up!

Have you put them up to any abuse? Sounds like a great set up!

You'll need a derailluer that can mount into the drop out, or weld a mount to the frame, or something. Not up to date on my derailluer technology, so not sure whats available.

I've got an old (80's) suntour derailluer set up I keep eyeing for a klunker build, but it's on the back burner. I can only ride one bike at a time, and haven't tired of my '48 DX yet...

20160209_162631.jpg

I have a 3 sp Sturmey Archer w/coaster brake, seems to shift, but doesn't seem to brake (just trying in vise and turning by hand). Paid $40 ish for but you can have just for shipping if you wanna mess with it, it's nice and clean, chrome, and has 36 hole.

I have a 3 sp Sturmey Archer w/coaster brake, seems to shift, but doesn't seem to brake (just trying in vise and turning by hand). Paid $40 ish for but you can have just for shipping if you wanna mess with it, it's nice and clean, chrome, and has 36 hole.
Sounds like a deal....messaged you on info. Ray

Back