Klunker question: were vintage front springers ever used??

Discussion in 'Vintage Mountain Bikes' started by Classic Cool Rides, Oct 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. #1 Posted Oct 23, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

Hello Vintage MTB CABE'rs !
    I'm kinda getting the desire to build an old skool Klunker to have some fun with!
    I've looked thru some of the Klunker posts here and really love what I see!
    BUT what I don't see much (or at all) is anybody using Vintage front springers......
    Was this because they were SO heavy?? Was it because they were too brittle ??
    or ..... maybe too many moving parts that could rattle and fall off under more rigid trail riding conditions ??
    I have an Extra ShockMaster springer and was thinking about trying it out on a Klunker Build.......
    Is this a bad idea ?? Just wanted some expert advice from some of you experienced Klunker riders/builders.....
    It seems like, out of all the Vintage Springer designs ..... the ShockMaster from CWC might have the best design for an old MTB style........... or maybe the Murray-Made Dual Spring-Springer ??
    Thanks for giving me your 2 cents worth! CCR Dave

2. #2 Posted Oct 23, 2017

I live for the CABE

tryder and 2jakes like this.
  3. #3 Posted Oct 30, 2017

On Training Wheels

Many reasons they weren't used including ones you pointed out. Oh, terrible handling too. (for off road) Website above is great and you can see more of the real deal here: http://www.clunkers.net/

bulldog1935 likes this.
  4. #4 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Bit late, but I just remembered that the many of the riders in the morrow dirt club used springers, particularly Russ Mahon. I’m not sure where I read it but that’s besides the point

5. #5 Posted Feb 14, 2018

I live for the CABE

Personally, I'd never use one, because they suck for pedaling uphill.

6. #6 Posted Feb 14, 2018

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

1976 klunkers with hand modified 1930's Schwinn Excelsior motorbike frames.
    1976-clunkers-with-hand-modified-1930s-schwinn-excelsior-motorbike-frames (1).jpg

7. #7 Posted Feb 15, 2018

Wore out three sets of tires already!

They suck for pretty much anything except for coasting while seated. Standing and pedaling is a joke too.

Whizzers springs are a pretty big improvement for firmness on Schwinn forks, but they rebound hard. I always wonder what will let go first? I can just picture watching the spring flying through the air in the seconds before I get a taste of dirt! Rebound control to maintain tire contact with the ground is key with bicycle suspension. And springers have zero.

8. #8 Posted Feb 16, 2018

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Yes, they were used here in Marin County, but were not very popular. Fred Wolf, one of the Mountain Bike Pioneers that you don't hear about very often rode a post war Schwinn cantilever with a Schwinn springer and a Sturmey 3sp hub.

gkeep and Cooper S. like this.
  9. #9 Posted Apr 11, 2018

Wore out three sets of tires already!

I was in Marin and the Point Reyes area in Northern California over Easter and came across the Marin Museum of Bicycling; Mountain Bike Hall of Fame... it was closed unfortunately, but I'm sure has a few good Clunkers on display. I like the giant mountain bike in the parking lot, and the ones along the roof line...

BIKE MUSEUM  (1).JPG

BIKE MUSEUM  (2).JPG

BIKE MUSEUM  (3).JPG

10. #10 Posted Apr 19, 2018

I was riding the fire roads in Marin County in the mid-sixties (before the clunker boys) on my '65 Spaceliner with springer fork, and it worked just fine.

11. #11 Posted Apr 24, 2018

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

especially this - http://www.clunkers.net/tips/tips.html
    perfect bike in kit form
    garyf_parts.jpg

I don't think the klunker boys were so much riding fire roads as racing downhill - most any bike will ride fire roads and single-track

2jakes likes this.
  12. #12 Posted Apr 24, 2018

I live for the CABE

“I don't think the klunker boys were so much riding fire roads as racing downhill - most any bike will ride fire roads and single-track”

Of course they rode fire roads and tracks on klunkers. Hence the evolution from bomber to klunker to early MTB for better climbing prowess. In fact, riding trails and fire roads on vintage iron is still a thing around here.

F4317D09-77AC-4800-AB00-9421E3287121.jpeg
    06D4725A-89C0-4748-8500-B55DA8EB9375.jpeg

Speed King, SKPC, gkeep and 1 other person like this.
  13. #13 Posted May 7, 2018

Great thread. I grew up right by De Anza College and was just a few years younger than the Morrow Dirt Club gang. We road whatever we had on the fire roads, horse trails and paths up above Cupertino and Saratoga.I went form a Huffy 3 speed stingray to my brothers hand me down 64 Varsity and then bought a 1973 Italvega at Cupertino Bike Shop that I still have. I remember friends riding stingrays they put together from parts found in orchard junk piles or behind dumpsters. Some guys had Raleigh 3 speeds, Schwinn Typhoons, Tornadoes etc. What everyone wanted was a chopper fork so we found forks and cut off the blades, then bolted them onto the ends of the other forks and put a 24" rim. the best ones lasted a week or so before failing. It was always great bombing down Regnart Road, Prospect and riding across the hay field that is now part of the Fremont Older Open Space Preserve. This makes me want to take my 58 Schwinn American and drive down there for a ride, or maybe my teens Pierce and see how the carbon fiber crowd that ride those trails now react. ;)

Gary

Cooper S. and Balloonatic like this.
  14. #14 Posted May 13, 2018

On Training Wheels