When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Krate fakes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I bought myself a new 1998-1999 Schwinn reissue Orange Krate in the box for Christmas. This thread and others gave me the confidence to pony up the 400 ask quickly. I have an Orange Raptor and Orange 68 Cobra Jet Cougar so it had to happen and didn’t have time to bone up on all things genuine Krate. It’ll be a stand in until I replace with a viable restoration candidate. Great work on your first restoration Grey Ghost. The attention to detail has payed off in a big way, now enjoy as it has some of your DNA.
I can provide details or photos soon to compare to the genuine article and or other later issued bikes.

Last edited:
This thread reminded me of some kind of dumb things we did in the early 90's. One was turning standard five speed Sting Rays into Krates. I sold a beautiful original 71 campus green five speed to a buddy that made it into a Pea. Since then I've had a lot of Pea Pickers come through my collection but that was the only green five speed. Original five speeds just don't come along as often as Krates.
There was a guy that used to take Manta Ray saddles apart to recover Krate saddles. They looked pretty good although the "S" was off a little. Nowadays nice Manta saddles are hen's teeth. Looking back, that may have not been the best idea...

I bought myself a new 1998-1999 Schwinn reissue Orange Krate in the box for Christmas. This thread and others gave me the confidence to pony up the 400 ask quickly. I have an Orange Raptor and Orange 68 Cobra Jet Cougar so it had to happen and didn’t have time to bone up on all things genuine Krate. It’ll be a stand in until I replace with a viable restoration candidate. Great work on your first restoration Grey Ghost. The attention to detail has payed off in a big way, now enjoy as it has some of your DNA.
I can provide details or photos soon to compare to the genuine article and or other later issued bikes.
I seriously considered buying one of those reissues and sticking a stick shifter on it just for the look.
When I found out how much shifters were going for I decided to skip that idea and just pony up for the real deal.

I still kind of wish I had bought one of those 98-99’s just to practice wheelies on.

Do post some pics of your new and old krates for comparison, that would be neat.

I will post photos of my Krate at the big Christmas morning surprise thread which is not yet posted because I don’t know what I’m getting for Christmas this year....wink, wink

It looks even better now. I cleaned it up more and added some personal touches.

Thanks for the complements and encouragement.

So, you have a nitty, gritty kitty eh? Wow, not many of those around!

Last edited:
Still playing with my sweet 16 set and some larger versions too

I want to practice some big slides and wheelies as well. Look out neighbors !
Hope to find my bike as a kid too and restore it identically. We are big kids now and can do whatever we %#^*# please :)

0FC516C9-D49A-4ADE-A8CB-D6F7D550253D.jpeg

F9DC0CFC-4EC0-42E4-AD4F-C06E9E95A332.jpeg

Back