When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Krate sissy bar cross brace question

-
Unfortunately they're just built with slop in all of the bushings. This is why I stopped on the 24" Krate project that I have, it's just not an enjoyable ride.
Clamp on reflector brackets are too weak to add any rigidity. You could crimp a flat spot in a pair of truss rods like this at the crossover and use sissy bar clamps at the 4 ends to make the bar extra rigid, but I'm pretty sure you'll still be left with a fair side to side twist at the seat bushings.
PXL_20221102_202423825.jpg

Not Schwinn seat here, but the closest thing I could grab for an example.

That setup is exactly what I was thinking of in the first place.
You are correct, a cross- brace would be ideal and would do more than anything to help stiffen the assembly. I was hoping some entrepreneur had offered something like this in the past.

A skull and crossbones pattern would be the bomb.

You’re right, there is some slop. Precision they’re not, but then nothing really is on these bikes is it?

I did install some taller, (thicker?), bushings in the spring tubes which helps keep the sissybar tube a little more lined up on its axis. The tube has probably three times the surface area as the thinner original nylon bushings.

I will see what effect the utility bracket has when I get it. Hopefully it will negate any visual flexing at least.

Hmmm, you got me to thinking, two brackets would really box the assembly together if one doesn’t do it.

post picture of how you have this mounted now. There should be no reason you need any additional bracing, something isn't mounted correctly I'm thinking.

post picture of how you have this mounted now. There should be no reason you need any additional bracing, something isn't mounted correctly I'm thinking.
I think the issue stems from them not being designed for heavier riders. These were kids bikes and not intended for adults over 165 pounds. The spring loaded sissy bar has too much movement especially when the seat is jacked up as high as it will go. I imagine most collectors just deal with it but if you ride it often I imagine it could be annoying. I agree with not adding anything non original to the bike as far as the Sissy bar goes. I'm building my krate now and will look into whether my repop sissy can be altered with out changing visually. The worst case if I find it unbearable when I ride I will switch it to a standard Stingray sissy. I will most likely just deal with it so as to keep correct sissy on it.

I think the issue stems from them not being designed for heavier riders. These were kids bikes and not intended for adults over 165 pounds. The spring loaded sissy bar has too much movement especially when the seat is jacked up as high as it will go. I imagine most collectors just deal with it but if you ride it often I imagine it could be annoying. I agree with not adding anything non original to the bike as far as the Sissy bar goes. I'm building my krate now and will look into whether my repop sissy can be altered with out changing visually. The worst case if I find it unbearable when I ride I will switch it to a standard Stingray sissy. I will most likely just deal with it so as to keep correct sissy on it.
they make a heavy duty shock rebuild kit for the Krate sissy bars, for adult heavier riders. I believe that will solve the problems here as long as everything else is tight and mounted properly. I know guys over 200 pounds riding these just fine

they make a heavy duty shock rebuild kit for the Krate sissy bars, for adult heavier riders. I believe that will solve the problems here as long as everything else is tight and mounted properly. I know guys over 200 pounds riding these just fine
PM sent

Back