Krusty Bluebird home to nest

These ads go away when you register for an account!

ranman

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Apr 30, 2014
Harrisonville, Mo.
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2523.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG
The wife made some progress on our bluebird today. My main concern was to get the tank off before tearing down the rest of the bike.
That being said I have had a lot of input on what to do with our Bluebird.
About a third say I should have it restored professionally. Easy enough. I have all the right parts and the right guy locally to do it correctly.
Close to two thirds say keep it original. Work it over, clean it up, use all the original parts, even leave the half rack on it.
A small percentage say leave it as is and hang it on the wall. That's not going to happen. No museum pieces here. If I can't ride em, I don't want em.
I feel like if I do nothing to the bad side of the tank it will continue to deteriorate and I can't let that happen.
I don't like the idea of bondo but do like the idea of a local artisan to work his metal magic. There will be weld marks etc.
This will be a slow, methodical process and decisions will be made along the way.
Wish us luck!

higgens

I live for the CABE
May 14, 2010
Lake Elsinore, United States
Clean it up it is its the cheapest put some oil on the tank and it won't ge worse Be careful how you fix the tank it could go down in value if there is a bunch of weld blobs coming threw the inside

49autocycledeluxe

I live for the CABE
May 29, 2017
fremont california
that looks like a fun project. that tank would be no problem for anyone who welds sheet metal on a regular basis.... as long as there is some metal left after sandblasting.

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
that looks like a fun project. that tank would be no problem for anyone who welds sheet metal on a regular basis.... as long as there is some metal left after sandblasting.
That will take more than welding skills! They better know how to really work sheet metal to get all the shapes and contours right on that one. V/r Shawn

49autocycledeluxe

I live for the CABE
May 29, 2017
fremont california
That will take more than welding skills! They better know how to really work sheet metal to get all the shapes and contours right on that one. V/r Shawn
easy squeezy. I figure if you have the skills to weld that thin sheetmetal bending up a few pieces should be no problem.

ranman

Apr 30, 2014
Harrisonville, Mo.
I was fortunate to meet a true metal artist in the KC area. He came highly recommended and has done some basic and tricky work for me already.
Not sure if he is an artist or a magician but has mad skills!
Taking the tank by this morning so he can get a visual on it and tell me what he thinks.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

mike j

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 3, 2013
Tuxedo Park, United States
From what I can see in the photos, a magician may be needed to weld all those holes up. When the sheet metal is very thin, burning becomes an issue. Any way you do it you'll probably end up finishing w/ glass & bondo, which isn't the end of the world. This is a really nice rare bike, though not a sought after as the earlier model. I remember a respected collector, who owned both models, tell me that the 38 actually rode better. Ooh, blasphemy. Great project you have there, good luck & have fun.

Reactions: partsguy

spoker

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Mar 3, 2011
Minneapolis, United States
jay leno makes parts from computor illustrations,somehow this metal would have to be reproduced or repaired with plastic material,you cant weld on rotten metal,a physical and chemical change has happened,its no longer metal

Reactions: partsguy

bikiba

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 17, 2014
NYC
Looks like a great project!

Is it me or do these bikes always show up in a super crusty state? Was their paintjobs made less rust proof?

Freqman1

Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
jay leno makes parts from computor illustrations,somehow this metal would have to be reproduced or repaired with plastic material,you cant weld on rotten metal,a physical and chemical change has happened,its no longer metal
The part could be made through a process called additive manufacturing--commonly called 3D printing but would likely be fairly costly. V/r Shawn

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

49autocycledeluxe

I live for the CABE
May 29, 2017
fremont california
Do you have any examples of your before/after of comparable projects?
I'm a car guy, I've done so much rust repair and sheetmetal work the metal shavings on my clothes all rusted together in the drain on my washing machine and flooded my garage.

ranman

Apr 30, 2014
Harrisonville, Mo.
The part could be made through a process called additive manufacturing--commonly called 3D printing but would likely be fairly costly. V/r Shawn

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I have actually thought a lot about AM and wondered about the impact it will have on our hobby. I have not found anyone yet locally that can do anything larger than a 8"x8". I dont feel like it is totally common but some time in the not too distant future I would imagine it will be common and therefore a lot cheaper.

ranman

Apr 30, 2014
Harrisonville, Mo.
I have actually thought a lot about AM and wondered about the impact it will have on our hobby. I have not found anyone yet locally that can do anything larger than a 8"x8". I dont feel like it is totally common but some time in the not too distant future I would imagine it will be common and therefore a lot cheaper.
AM has progressed to the point where they use metal powders and you can actually make parts out of metal instead of plastic models.

Freqman1

Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
AM has progressed to the point where they use metal powders and you can actually make parts out of metal instead of plastic models.
This is true but for stressed parts such as the valve Leno was working on I don't think the 'printed' metal parts have the required structural or thermal properties. For a non-stressed, ornamental part such as this tank it would probably be ok but I've never seen a complex part like a tank done. V/r Shawn

ranman

Apr 30, 2014
Harrisonville, Mo.
Do you have any examples of your before/after of comparable projects?
Packed it away for now Shawn. I need to chill for awhile and work on other aspects of the bicycle. Looks like now either leave as is or total restore. I was hoping for some middle ground. None here. The bike is both a blessing and a curse. LOL

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This ad goes away when you register for an account!