When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Krusty Bluebird home to nest

-
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2523.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG
The wife made some progress on our bluebird today. My main concern was to get the tank off before tearing down the rest of the bike.
That being said I have had a lot of input on what to do with our Bluebird.
About a third say I should have it restored professionally. Easy enough. I have all the right parts and the right guy locally to do it correctly.
Close to two thirds say keep it original. Work it over, clean it up, use all the original parts, even leave the half rack on it.
A small percentage say leave it as is and hang it on the wall. That's not going to happen. No museum pieces here. If I can't ride em, I don't want em.
I feel like if I do nothing to the bad side of the tank it will continue to deteriorate and I can't let that happen.
I don't like the idea of bondo but do like the idea of a local artisan to work his metal magic. There will be weld marks etc.
This will be a slow, methodical process and decisions will be made along the way.
Wish us luck!

that looks like a fun project. that tank would be no problem for anyone who welds sheet metal on a regular basis.... as long as there is some metal left after sandblasting.

that looks like a fun project. that tank would be no problem for anyone who welds sheet metal on a regular basis.... as long as there is some metal left after sandblasting.

That will take more than welding skills! They better know how to really work sheet metal to get all the shapes and contours right on that one. V/r Shawn

That will take more than welding skills! They better know how to really work sheet metal to get all the shapes and contours right on that one. V/r Shawn

easy squeezy. I figure if you have the skills to weld that thin sheetmetal bending up a few pieces should be no problem.

I was fortunate to meet a true metal artist in the KC area. He came highly recommended and has done some basic and tricky work for me already.
Not sure if he is an artist or a magician but has mad skills!
Taking the tank by this morning so he can get a visual on it and tell me what he thinks.

Back