When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Krusty Bluebird home to nest

-
From what I can see in the photos, a magician may be needed to weld all those holes up. When the sheet metal is very thin, burning becomes an issue. Any way you do it you'll probably end up finishing w/ glass & bondo, which isn't the end of the world. This is a really nice rare bike, though not a sought after as the earlier model. I remember a respected collector, who owned both models, tell me that the 38 actually rode better. Ooh, blasphemy. Great project you have there, good luck & have fun.

jay leno makes parts from computor illustrations,somehow this metal would have to be reproduced or repaired with plastic material,you cant weld on rotten metal,a physical and chemical change has happened,its no longer metal

Looks like a great project!

Is it me or do these bikes always show up in a super crusty state? Was their paintjobs made less rust proof?

easy squeezy. I figure if you have the skills to weld that thin sheetmetal bending up a few pieces should be no problem.
Ha Ha, you're gonna need this guy to weld anything to that tank.

no problem.jpg

jay leno makes parts from computor illustrations,somehow this metal would have to be reproduced or repaired with plastic material,you cant weld on rotten metal,a physical and chemical change has happened,its no longer metal

The part could be made through a process called additive manufacturing--commonly called 3D printing but would likely be fairly costly. V/r Shawn

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do you have any examples of your before/after of comparable projects?

I'm a car guy, I've done so much rust repair and sheetmetal work the metal shavings on my clothes all rusted together in the drain on my washing machine and flooded my garage.

The part could be made through a process called additive manufacturing--commonly called 3D printing but would likely be fairly costly. V/r Shawn

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I have actually thought a lot about AM and wondered about the impact it will have on our hobby. I have not found anyone yet locally that can do anything larger than a 8"x8". I dont feel like it is totally common but some time in the not too distant future I would imagine it will be common and therefore a lot cheaper.

I have actually thought a lot about AM and wondered about the impact it will have on our hobby. I have not found anyone yet locally that can do anything larger than a 8"x8". I dont feel like it is totally common but some time in the not too distant future I would imagine it will be common and therefore a lot cheaper.

AM has progressed to the point where they use metal powders and you can actually make parts out of metal instead of plastic models.

AM has progressed to the point where they use metal powders and you can actually make parts out of metal instead of plastic models.

This is true but for stressed parts such as the valve Leno was working on I don't think the 'printed' metal parts have the required structural or thermal properties. For a non-stressed, ornamental part such as this tank it would probably be ok but I've never seen a complex part like a tank done. V/r Shawn

Do you have any examples of your before/after of comparable projects?
Packed it away for now Shawn. I need to chill for awhile and work on other aspects of the bicycle. Looks like now either leave as is or total restore. I was hoping for some middle ground. None here. The bike is both a blessing and a curse. LOL

Back