When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KSHD

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice bike you have, and thanks for the close-up of your front hub! I have a '78 Spitfire with a Union hub and heavy gage spokes, and it's interesting to see the differences in the two, at least for a bike nerd like me. I'm guessing Union changed the seals at some point? Mine's in post #512 in this thread:

Last edited:
Nice bike you have, and thanks for the close-up of your front hub! I have a '78 Spitfire with a Union hub and heavy gage spokes, and it's interesting to see the differences in the two, at least for a bike nerd like me. I'm guessing Union changed the seals at some point? Mines in post #512 in this thread:

The Union front hubs were used on the HD, California Cruiser, KLUNKER 5, & Spitfires up until the 1980 model year, then they switched over to the ACS large flange hubs. I know some of the late 79 model Spitfires had the large flange ACS hubs, as my 79 Spitfire has one.

Last edited:
The Union front hubs were used on the HD, California Cruiser, KLUNKER 5, & Spitfires up until the 1980 model year, then they switched over to the ACS large flange hubs. I know some of the late 79 model Spitfires had the large flange ACS hubs, as my 79 Spitfire has one.

View attachment 1399924
The ACS hubs were made in U.S.A., correct? They made other parts as well, stems at least, did they come out of BMX?

I believe ACS was a company based in California, but I am not 100% sure if all their stuff was USA made? And yes, their stuff was geared for the BMX crowd.

If I remember correctly (?) ACS may have made parts for Schwinn with the Schwinn name on them also.

Check the link below for more ACS info.

Last edited:
My bike has something that keeps the headset straight almost like a cam in the head tube with a stop in the center. Was this on all HD models? was it a special feature? Also would my '65 have a rear reflector or was that added?

My bike has something that keeps the headset straight almost like a cam in the head tube with a stop in the center. Was this on all HD models? was it a special feature? Also would my '65 have a rear reflector or was that added?

Post pics of what you are referring too? And yes, a red round reflector mounted on the bracket I see on your fender.

I can not take a pic, it is located in the head tube there seems to be a stop or notch of some sort and the forks will return to the straight position and there is a partial stop the makes it sty centered. Until I break it down I can't send a pic. Sorry if this does not make sense.

Looks like the frame was made on Friday, February 26, 1965 according to this:

Be sure to get yours added!

The date associated to the serial number is the date the number was stamped on the bike's component, drop out, BB shell, or head tube. The frame was built at a later unknown date.

Back