When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laced My First Wheel!

-
Yes it is relaxing. As mentioned above, when working on and with old damaged rims, the process is totally different. If you do not have experience with wheels to begin with, you will struggle and give up quickly! When dealing with old bent or twisted rims, it is best to remove them from their current twisted bondage and then attempt to straighten the rim 1st by eye before trying to lace it and true it again..... Damaged rims out of round will be almost impossible to bring back unless you get the dents and bends out first.....nearly impossible but it can be done. Problem is, the spoke tensions will be all over the place if you don't get the rim itself fairly straight to begin with before attempting to get it true...

That’s exactly what I found with this rim. It was pretty tweaked prior to breaking it down but is a bit better now.

So I finally got my replacement spokes (stainless 14g) and relaced my spare rear wheel I stole all the original spokes from to do the first rear wheel. This go around was quicker but still had to go back and redo the last set of spokes (the cross) as I forgot to rotate the hub backwards first. Stock guys may want to look away with the non-original ss spokes:

2c713b810fbfe070ec50ca8f03b01fbf.jpg

4879da8315ad0d1d9a5e96560ae0b979.jpg

I also laced these with the over/over/under pattern on the cross since I was using new/modern spokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job. I find lacing and truing satisfying. I find wheel building very satisfying. Truing does take time, patience and practice. I find baby steps , for me, is the key. Lateral, radial, dish, pre-stress...over and over. As well as correct spoke tension is achieved at the end. Also there are times I have to walk away, come back later

""My wife/kids were not sufficiently impressed by this feat so thought I would post it here. ""

the common folk simply do not understand the satisfaction of building a wheel. it is different than other things in life. I recently installed a new toilet... never did it before, it was minimally satisfying, and only then because I saved a couple hundred bucks doing it myself.

I’ve laced two rear 36 hole ND rims now and both came out great. I’m now attempting the front but am ending up with many spokes too long (sticking out of nipple). I’ve double checked my pattern and it’s correct (3 cross) and the original spokes measure 269mm which is a mm smaller than the rears. Are the front spokes usually shorter than the rears on 26” rims?

58acd3ff88544e33347b5cb7ffbc785e.jpg

d0bc0ef7f912671fc45b4c45a80913db.jpg

I’ve laced two rear 36 hole ND rims now and both came out great. I’m now attempting the front but am ending up with many spokes too long (sticking out of nipple). I’ve double checked my pattern and it’s correct (3 cross) and the original spokes measure 269mm which is a mm smaller than the rears. Are the front spokes usually shorter than the rears on 26” rims?

View attachment 1253405
View attachment 1253406

should be 4x

Back