When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laced My First Wheel!

-
how difficult is this to do? I'm building a 70 coaster Krate, and sourced a S2 rim, and a Red Band Bendix for the rear. I've never built a wheel before.

It's not difficult, just takes a few times to get it. Check out the youtube videos as they were a great source of information. You will no doubt mess it up the first time but its easy enough to take it apart and do it over. Take pictures of how its setup originally so you have something to go off of.

Congrats!
I have yet to lace or true a wheel. I’ve done just about everything else. I bet it’s very satisfying to ride!
the only family member I have that would be even slightly impressed is my daughter, and she lives 3,000 miles away. Her only form of transportation is a 1981 Schwinn World Tour, and she is doing her own maintenance. My son just likes to ride. If I built a nice set of wheels, My wife would be equally impressed if I told her I dropped a rock and it hit the ground.

It's not difficult, just takes a few times to get it. Check out the youtube videos as they were a great source of information. You will no doubt mess it up the first time but its easy enough to take it apart and do it over. Take pictures of how its setup originally so you have something to go off of.
Ive looked at videos, but they seems to be for 36 spoke wheels, the Krate is a 28 spoke wheel, I havent found anything that's specific to a 28 spoke yet. I think if I had something that was already assembled and I could photograph before doing it I might be a bit more confident about it, but these things are pretty hard to come by for something that's vintage I've found so I had to source the hub and rim seperate. I'm still trying to figure out what spoke length to get for it.

Just do the same thing as 36 spoke, and stop when you run out of holes in each direction. The only difference is you might cross over less, because with less spokes the angle might be too severe. If you could count the cross pattern on an original wheel that would help.

I've done maybe 5 sets of wheels. The first, was maddening and took a half-dozen tries. The last, about 15 minutes and one try. it's so simple that it's difficult. Once you get the first spoke of the second set in the proper place on the hub...it's nearly impossible to mess up. Anyways, that's always the key to my being able to do it.

Bought a set of S7 wheels and the rear hub was rusted solid. Got the spokes out, cleaned them and the rim then went to bed. Lay there and thought about it. Got up the next day, did my honey-dos then sat down with everything. I had a Bendix Red band hub on the shelf. Did it correct the first time, no video, no other wheel to match, no guides. This is the 5th or 6th wheel and finally it all came together in my mind. Makes me wonder why it was so difficult the first times. Went to the kitchen and poured myself a self congratulatory glass of wine and watched K-State lose in the last seconds of the game. Went back to the shop and did the best I could at truing it. Kind of tough when the rim has been curbed a few times. Finally gave up trying to gauge the sides of the rim and set a marker and used the line running through the center of the rim. The wheel runs true on that line but feels quite bumpy on the sides. Pretty satisfying doing it all by memory.

Actually - spoking works out to be easy and pleasurable. The first one can be a nightmare, because our human nature makes us rush towards complication. It's a simple, repetitive exercise. Just a few things I know for sure. IF you're relacing two wheels: leave one in original form for reference purposes. The first hole on the second set of 9 spokes (for me) is the secret to success. You gotta have it right. The rest is child's play. And look up that youtube video done by that English lady (something like "Without all the bulls##t. How to lace a 36 hole rim). It's by far the best piece of instruction I've found.

Last edited:
Back