When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lacing wheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

After decades of wheel building I finally built a set with carbon fiber rims. I got out of the industry right when carbon rims first made they're debut. Whole different animal. Carbon can't be coaxed. It has to be brutally manipulated.

Last edited:
anyspecfic questions or pictures needed please ask
Where is a good place to get spokes for a 26" Columbia rim? Need enough to do 2rims. I guess I need to take one out and measure it to be sure I get the right size. This bike still has the Columbia hub up front. Haven't cleaned the back rim up enough yet to tell what brand hub. I do know that it has a Perry brake arm. Don't know if they are good brakes or not. Saw a post in a thread somewhere that told the OP to change it out to another brand that I can't remember.

If you are using the same hubs, and the same rims, and the same lacing pattern, then measuring a spoke is BY FAR the easiest way.

If you are using the same hubs, and the same rims, and the same lacing pattern, then measuring a spoke is BY FAR the easiest way.
I may drive to the coast and have it done professionally if I can't pull it off. Changed a ton of spokes in my childhood and jr high years. But haven't ever done a complete wheel. The front hub on this critter is has Columbia on it. The back only has a number. 36-13, in the center. Since it has a Perry brake arm would I be right to assume the hub is made by Perry also? I hope I'm not being a pain but I only ask because I don't know.

I think that 36-13 is a bendix hub
I may drive to the coast and have it done professionally if I can't pull it off. Changed a ton of spokes in my childhood and jr high years. But haven't ever done a complete wheel. The front hub on this critter is has Columbia on it. The back only has a number. 36-13, in the center. Since it has a Perry brake arm would I be right to assume the hub is made by Perry also? I hope I'm not being a pain but I only ask because I don't know.

I don't know either, but ill bet if you posted a pic of it you would get a definitive answer.

Lacing wheels isn't that hard. Count the "crosses" before you take them apart. Don't miss the first spoke crossed, as it is in real close to the hub and easily missed. Get the same length spokes. Read up how to do it on Sheldon Brown's site and just go for it. You can use your frame and fork as truing stands. Tape a popsicle stick or something on for a guide. Maybe just buy a truing stand if you think you will be doing this a lot. In any event, do buy or make a dishing stick. Easy to make out of wood if you are on a budget.

This is the critter in question. I may need a new brake arm. Don't know if I should try to straighten this one. That said are brake arms pretty much all the same except for manufacturer. Does it have to be a Perry or should something else work?

16105860767038303470875169012545.jpg

16105861142596951159030716896868.jpg

16105861445812310866914165245291.jpg

16105861656579023178389879204436.jpg

16105861866447190289183732460123.jpg

I don't know either, but ill bet if you posted a pic of it you would get a definitive answer.

Lacing wheels isn't that hard. Count the "crosses" before you take them apart. Don't miss the first spoke crossed, as it is in real close to the hub and easily missed. Get the same length spokes. Read up how to do it on Sheldon Brown's site and just go for it. You can use your frame and fork as truing stands. Tape a popsicle stick or something on for a guide. Maybe just buy a truing stand if you think you will be doing this a lot. In any event, do buy or make a dishing stick. Easy to make out of wood if you are on a budget.
More of my ignorance. What is a dishing stick and how to use it? I used to just screw every spoke even with the top of the nipple put them back on and adjust them till the wheel ran more or less without wobble.

A dishing stick show you how far off center you are with the rim. It just measures how far from the outside of the bearing cone to the outside of the rim. I made a crappy one out of angle iron and bolts, but I don't really recommend it. Angle iron costs and I've seen things online just cut from plywood with a piece of ruler attached that work better than mine does.

Example, you measure one side, then you measure the other side and it is 1/2" off. Then you would need to move the rim to the side half of that distance, or 1/4". In practice it wont be off that far, but you get the idea.

Technically it is possible to just keep flipping the new wheel over in the frame or fork to check centering, but it gets old quick. It also gets confusing. As you are truing the new wheel you need to know if the rim is off center, and which way. Then you make your corrections for wobble in a way that pull the rim closer to center as you tighten.

If the arm says it's Perry, I'll bet its Perry. That is not a hub I know anything about. I would clean it all up starting with the hub. Those bearing surfaces look trashed. Maybe its just old dirt and grease, If they are as bad as they look, you need a new shell, and since you are lacing the wheel you could replace the whole hub with some other brand if it is easier to get.

Back