lacing wheels

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Old Bicycles' started by militarymonark, Nov 16, 2006.

1. #81 Posted Feb 13, 2017

'Lil Knee Scuffer

I use The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt. I have found his directions the clearest and easiest to follow.

fattyre likes this.
  2. #82 Posted Aug 23, 2017

'Lil Knee Scuffer

15-20 years ago, I got into a discussion with Jobst Brandt on Usenet regarding the history of tying and soldering. I found myself in a discussion regarding tying and soldering and was interested in learning if perhaps tying and soldering was an old-school method of interlacing that died after interlacing became the norm. If memory serves, Jobst made it well known he was not a fan of the practice. and he reported that he had spent many hours in the lab measuring lateral deflection on all types of setups, including interlacing and tying / soldering. His findings were that interlacing did reduce the amount of lateral deflection, while tying / soldering did little to justify the practice. I don't have any archive or recall what group that was on to recall how much it actually reduced lateral deflection. In practice, I lace my old Schwinn bombproof 26" steel rims without interlacing, and interlace all my new skinny aluminum 700c / 27" rims, and have had good luck both ways.

JuniorR likes this.
  3. #83 Posted Sep 1, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

Interesting post. Try Sheldon Brown. His wheel building method seems to be the easiest. Always start your first spoke next to the valve hole. After lacing the first set rotate the hub away from the valve hole. This will insure that your valve stem will be between crosses. Try to get your spoke tensions equal. Tapping the spokes for equal sound is one way to get them equal. I'm half deaf so i use a tension meter. Although its not as critical on old or crusier bikes where speed or rough terrain are not a factor. Equal tension will keep it out of the truing stand after riding.

4. #84 Posted Oct 24, 2017

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

Basic info for starting wheel building.... pdf attached.

Attached Files:

5. #85 Posted Oct 24, 2017

6. #86 Posted Oct 24, 2017

That just made my day. The Author used one my favorite words but he obviously doesn't know the meaning of it. "If that happens, just unloosen this." Kinda like saying hot water heater.

Schwinn499 likes this.