When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lacing wheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
When you start the second side, does it matter which hole you choose? seems like it would. Im doing a wheel now

When you start the second side, you cant just pick any hole though. You have 50-50 chance of getting it right. think about it...

Who laced the drop center wheels for Murray built bicycles? I guess this is a drop center rim.
20190418_175842.jpg

I believe the correct method is over, over, under for a cross 3 pattern.
20190418_180542.jpg
20190418_182405.jpg

I have two sets of these wheels..all of them are laced this way. Was this a common practice ?

Who laced the drop center wheels for Murray built bicycles? I guess this is a drop center rim. View attachment 982734
View attachment 982735View attachment 982736
I have two sets of these wheels..all of them are laced this way. Was this a common practice ?
The placement of the valve hole in the pattern is wrong, it makes it harder to get at. However on a lot of bikes 50s and before, (could be even later), the spoke patterns are under under under. Modern stuff is all under under over but idk when the change was.

The placement of the valve hole in the pattern is wrong, it makes it harder to get at. However on a lot of bikes 50s and before, (could be even later), the spoke patterns are under under under. Modern stuff is all under under over but idk when the change was.
okay , thanks for the insight.

Who laced the drop center wheels for Murray built bicycles? I guess this is a drop center rim. View attachment 982734
View attachment 982735View attachment 982736
They're machine built. Old school machine built didn't have a under cross (it's over, over, under). Modern machine built have a under cross. The other way to tell if wheels are machine built is they laced identical. That's because the machine inserts spokes on both flanges then flips it over and inserts the other spokes. Hand built are built mirror. The spokes are inserted one side of a flange then flipped over and inserted on the other flange.
20190422_172120.jpg

Identical
20190422_172150.jpg

Mirror
Hope this helps.

They're machine built. Old school machine built didn't have a under cross (it's over, over, under). Modern machine built have a under cross. The other way to tell if wheels are machine built is they laced identical. That's because the machine inserts spokes on both flanges then flips it over and inserts the other spokes. Hand built are built mirror. The spokes are inserted one side of a flange then flipped over and inserted on the other flange.
View attachment 985065
Identical
View attachment 985066
Mirror
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info.

All this information was very helpful. I laced a front wheel using a New Departure hub I bought at an Estate sale for 2 dollars. Tomorrow I will attempt laci
ND.jpg
ND.jpg

ng the rear coaster brake hub.

Back