When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lacing wheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Who laced the drop center wheels for Murray built bicycles? I guess this is a drop center rim. View attachment 982734
I believe the correct method is over, over, under for a cross 3 pattern.
1565012420277.png

4x
missed the first cross at the flange

with the rims and hubs we use and for the riding most of us do, as long as the spokes are sufficiently tight and the wheel is as round and true as is acceptable to you the "right way" as far as theory goes is whatever works.

"correct" for the majority of american cruisers is 4x not "interlaced".

interlacing does not make for an appreciably stronger or more rigid wheel.

the belief that it does is not supported by science or “real world” evidence:
countless pre- and post-war wheels are still very or acceptably straight and round.
Also: consider a radial spoked wheel steering a ~160lb professional cyclist @25mph

The last set of wheels that I laced does not have an "under"" in them. I had two sets of like wheels. I placed the re-painted rim I was replacing next to an OE. That visual really helped. The wheels are round and true, and all of the spokes have the same tension.

with the rims and hubs we use and for the riding most of us do, as long as the spokes are sufficiently tight and the wheel is as round and true as is acceptable to you the "right way" as far as theory goes is whatever works.

"correct" for the majority of american cruisers is 4x not "interlaced".

interlacing does not make for an appreciably stronger or more rigid wheel.

the belief that it does is not supported by science or “real world” evidence:
countless pre- and post-war wheels are still very or acceptably straight and round.
Also: consider a radial spoked wheel steering a ~160lb professional cyclist @25mph
Correct, interlacing is to keep broken spokes in place. If not the spoke will flapping around and could cause serious problems. Same for tied and soddered spokes. Doesn't make the wheel stronger makes it safer.

Lol! After building hundreds of wheels I still struggle at times. Give it time Marc, you'll get it.
I do not find this encouraging!!:D

I am going to attempt a re-lace on these 122 year old wood rims. This thread will be my guide, thank you for sharing this!.

For all the wheel-builders out there! I finally put together this 26" front using some 450gm welded/eyeletted Salsa MTB clincher rims I got cheap last year. NOS 1947 Sturmey Drum front, Wheelsmith 14/15's, gold alloy nips. 1/2 hour job to lace and get straight with no hops. Trick with the low flange sturmey is getting the j-bends to stay put in the slotted holes when lacing. And just for fun at the bottom, a recently scored 32h White Industries Tracker hub. These may be my all time favorite front qr hub. I will use it eventually.

Last edited:
Back