When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lacing wheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Front is probably different.It depends on the hub diameter.There are only a few factors for determining spoke lengths but they are critical.Each wheel rebuild could be different ,Wheels can use two different spoke sizes on one wheel depending on the hub type. Here is the link I use to determine length. http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

Wheels

I have built probably a thousand wheels in my years in the bike shops and was trained by one of Eddy Merckx's team mechanics too ...

Wheels are fun once you get the knack. Never cross over the valve channel ...... A spoke driver is an invaluable tool. Oil the nipples. be patient.....

Online spoke calculators ! what a dream .... When I began doing wheels each shop had its own secret bible of spoke lengths written down ..... Then came the Wheelsmith spoke calculation system you could buy ..... Changed everything ....

Here is an excellent way to measure and calculate spokes. My friend set this page up.

http://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/fullcalc

If you don't know what something means Google can help, or I can check back.

The most important things I can add are to lube the nipples and spoke threads before you lace. Some use a locking compound, I don't. I use triFlow and have done 100's of wheels with that.

Be consistent. I do everything in quarter turns. Keeping the flats of the nipples parallel with the rim.

A lot of antique wheels did not have the last cross of the spoke go under. The wheel will be stronger of if cross under the last spoke.

When you first lace the wheel, only thread the spoke nipples on to until the last couple threads are showing. This will give you a base line to start by.

Once you think you have the wheel trued, take it out of the stand, put it horizontal with the axle on the bench or floor and "lightly" press down. You will hear 'PING'. rotate the wheel and do this a bit until it goes away, and do it on both sides. Then true it again.

Don't cross the valve hole. Also, if you want to be real picky, make sure you can see the logo on the hub through the valve hole!

Great information, thank you!

Do we have to make this face while lacing the wheel?

HouseandParts008-1_mouth-open.jpg

the key spoke is deterimed how the wheel is drilled,put your key spoke in the hub flange facing you,from the outside in so you have the end of the spoke on the outside of the hub,the little round end of the spoke will be facing out[that is the way the first 9 on one side and 9 on the other side go,find the valve stem hole,look at the spoke holes in the rim,if the hole in the rim that corresponds with your hub flange put the key spoke in that hole,if the hole is the 2nd one from the valve hole put your spoke in there,now look down at the other side of the flange and put a spoke in that flange one hole behind you first spoke,put this spoke in the rim hole just behind your key[starting this way will make the 2 spokes next to the valve hole straight so its ezer to but in air]now cont 3 holes away from your first spoke and in stall the second spoke,do the same for the rest of the spokes on your 1rst side then do the same on the other side,you will now have 18 spokes in,twist the hub clockwies[shake the rim around so the spokes seat]now feed a spke from the inside out,go the opositedirection of the already installed spokes,cross over 2 spokes and under the 3rd spoke and install the spoke in the rim that matches the side your working on,keep repeating till the 3rd and 4th set are in,after you read this go to shelden brown and see his steps,hopfully my basic instructions will help you to under stand his better,once you get the hang of it its ez

Back