When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lacing wheels

-
Good photos. Unless I missed it you didn't mention the valve hole. You need to start your second row so the valve hole is "open" and you don't have spokes in the way when airing a tire. It doesn't affect the strength of the wheel, just best practice.
Building wheels is not difficult if you start with the correct spoke length. Install all spokes from one hub flange to the same side of rim.Also need to be sure each spoke is tightened the same number of turns.
Truing a wheel takes practice. Tighten the side you wish to move toward. Take several small adjustments instead of one or two large ones.

Can you share a link to this video ? It's also the simplest one I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, agree. Here ya go.

Watch "Without the bull. How to build a 36 spoke wheel." on YouTube

Edit- Well, for some reason I can't copy paste the link now.

Last edited:
The first wheel I did was a disaster. For starters the rim should have been thrown away it was so bad I straightened it with the torch. Then once it was spoked (same rim same spolkes same hub) I had about an extra 1/2 inch on every spolke.

Hey thanks for the lesson on how to spoke a wheel, the pictures were a big help. I removed the spokes from a rim once but I numbered each spoke to correspond with the same number I wrote on the inside of the rim worked ok for me.

Thanks for all the info, I laced up my first set of wheels.
After assembling the wheels I took them to a local bike shop to For trueing
He said I should have put every third spoke under the first layer, over, over under.
I came home with the wheels to change the spokes but all my other wheels are the same patten as you described.
What's up with that...

Back