When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lacing wheels

-
Fool-proof wheel building method:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Helpful and informative links:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheels.html

Has there yet been any scientific testing that proves interlacing spokes is of any structural benefit?

An interesting bit of info about the history of tying and soldering:
http://yarchive.net/bike/tying-and-soldering.html

15-20 years ago, I got into a discussion with Jobst Brandt on Usenet regarding the history of tying and soldering. I found myself in a discussion regarding tying and soldering and was interested in learning if perhaps tying and soldering was an old-school method of interlacing that died after interlacing became the norm. If memory serves, Jobst made it well known he was not a fan of the practice. and he reported that he had spent many hours in the lab measuring lateral deflection on all types of setups, including interlacing and tying / soldering. His findings were that interlacing did reduce the amount of lateral deflection, while tying / soldering did little to justify the practice. I don't have any archive or recall what group that was on to recall how much it actually reduced lateral deflection. In practice, I lace my old Schwinn bombproof 26" steel rims without interlacing, and interlace all my new skinny aluminum 700c / 27" rims, and have had good luck both ways.

Interesting post. Try Sheldon Brown. His wheel building method seems to be the easiest. Always start your first spoke next to the valve hole. After lacing the first set rotate the hub away from the valve hole. This will insure that your valve stem will be between crosses. Try to get your spoke tensions equal. Tapping the spokes for equal sound is one way to get them equal. I'm half deaf so i use a tension meter. Although its not as critical on old or crusier bikes where speed or rough terrain are not a factor. Equal tension will keep it out of the truing stand after riding.

Basic info for starting wheel building.... pdf attached.

Attachments

• Build Your Own.pdf
    329.1 KB · Views: 343
  • Care and Repair.pdf
    378.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Lace and Tension.pdf
    250.2 KB · Views: 195
  • True by Tension.pdf
    317.3 KB · Views: 330
When you are a pro. Lol
IMG_20180330_174748.jpg

I love wheels more than women, because I can true them if they get bent out of shape. Just built another "rider" set up recently for my 1933 Flyer (below) when it is not shod in its original wheels. My 2-cents here is just do it as much as you can, because the more you build wheels, the better they generally get.....I am not sure there is any right or wrong way, but the more you do it, the more you tend to spend more money building light weight setups. Light weight women aren't bad either. Faster..

IMG_2194.JPG

Back