When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lack of space

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

1817cent

Riding my 41 Super Deluxe Autocycle
Obviously I enjoy collecting old bicycles but am currently limited by the size of my garage. I also collect coins which are much easier to store. Over the years while collecting bicycles, about 15, I have found that my tastes change and also my desire to have more higher end examples. Space is a problem and i am getting to the point of needing to get rid of one each time i get a new one. That is a problem as i enjoy riding all of them. I suppose this is not an unusual problem in this hobby...
20180403_090241.jpg
20180403_085850.jpg
20180403_085843.jpg
20180403_085835.jpg
20180403_085808.jpg
20180403_085758.jpg

Running out of space happens to us all in the end. It isn't easy collecting bicycles. They tend to take up a lot of space. I am currently in your boat. I have run out of space in my basement and I refuse to put them in my apartment. I would suggest that you sell a few of the lower end bikes to make space for any bikes on your bucket list. It is definitely a good idea collecting things that are smaller (hence take up less space) like coins. The hunter drive is in full gear with most of us. It is learning to diversify that keeps us going. Stopping cold turkey will trigger other impulses.

It used to bother me selling a bike that I really liked. I moved last fall to a house that has no where near the storage I had at the old house. I got rid of over thirty bikes and all of them were keepers and lots of primo parts. I don't miss any of it. It's still very hard for me to sell, but once it's gone, it's only "stuff".
What did I do with the bike money? My wife and I took a 16 day cruise. We flew to California, got a ship in LA. and went to South America and through the Panama Canal to the Caribbean. The highlight was going to Catholic mass in Nicaragua and Columbia, to churches older than dirt. Then we went to Aruba for 7 days last month. Everything, from the air fare , ship, hotel, 100% was paid with bike money. Never made much with this hobby, but all in all I never lost any either. These old bikes have been a good investment. I have sold very little here on the Cabe, and have never done Ebay. Just going to swaps.... It's been fun and I still have over 30 bikes left. Today in my twilight years of collecting it's fender-less balloners, right where I started back in the 1950's. Life is short..... enjoy.

I know a few crazy bike people. when you have bikes in the kitchen and family room it is time to rethink the hobby. me? I have 4 older bikes and 2 "late models" both road and mountain... my passion is antique toy cars, trucks, guns and airplanes. mostly pre-WWII. I have 150+ pieces in an 8 X 10 room. plus a cabinet of 1949 Chevrolet junk and 1949 Dealer posters and ads on the walls. there is even room for a couch and a desk in there. if I had to move I have two large trunks where all this junk would fit except for the two cabinets

I definitely know this feeling. Rearranged a few times to make things more comfortable. Added hooks to the joists in the basement and garage in all the places that I can. Very comfortable right now but I'm supposed to pick up 2 more this weekend. Keeping one, flipping the other after swapping a few parts. Don't really have a good spot for it but.... I even have one riding in the back of my station wagon right now.... in case the car breaks down :rolleyes:

Back